3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2010 12:57 AM by 843793 RSS

CORBA - setting the port

Hi,

As there's no CORBA forum, I'm trying this one. Apologies if I'm off topic.

I need a way to set the port of a CORBA server object. I'm using the ORB supplied with the jdk. The default behaviour appears to be picking a random one, which means openning up all ports on the server's firewall, and means the same for clients implementing callback (listener) objects. Doesn't seem reasonable.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance, and if anyone can point me to a Sun ORB CORBA forum, please do.

cheers,
      Kevin.
        • 1. Re: CORBA - setting the port
          EJP
          That's not correct. I don't have my materials to hand but the default is hard-wired and it is certainly not random. What led you to that conclusion?
          • 2. Re: CORBA - setting the port
            The CORBA implementation creates an IOR for each server object, which includes the ip address of the server and the unique port the object uses. Each new object has a new port. When I say random, i mean I can see no pattern to the sequence of ports used when a sequence of objects are created and activated. They are always different.

I'm not talking about the well-known name service port or the orbd port.

cheers,
            Kevin.
            • 3. Re: CORBA - setting the port
              update:
              I've found a property com.sun.CORBA.ORBServerPort, which you can set when init()-ing the ORB. This works for one object, but subsequent objects are created at the same port. I can't find a way to change the property without creating a new ORB.

Any help's appreciated.

cheers,
              Kevin.