7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:54 PM by 791266

Error unmarshaling return header

On a heavily loaded system I occasionaly get these? Anyone seen them. What's odd is that the read timeout is set to days. Is this something else that is timing out? An ack rather than a read? It also doesn't seem to matter whether or not Solaris or Windows Server/Client are involved. Is there a sun rmi timeout property that I should be increasing?
      java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return header; nested exception is:
              java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
              at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:203)
              at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:133)
              at com.me.services.ElementManagerService_Stub.addVersions(Unknown Source)
              at com.me.RuleRunner$3.run(ElementSpecifierRuleRunner.java:1137)
              at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
      Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
              at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
              at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
              at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.a(DashoA12275)
              at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.InputRecord.read(DashoA12275)
              at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA12275)
              at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.a(DashoA12275)
              at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppInputStream.read(DashoA12275)
              at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:183)
              at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:201)
              at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.java:331)
              at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:189)
        • 1. Re: Error unmarshaling return header
          EJP
          You'd need to set a multiple of 86,400,000. You could be up against a platform limit here. In Unix, according to Stevens vol II (p543), 'the time interval ... must be small enough so that when it is represented as clock ticks it fits within a short integer' (16 bits).
          • 2. Re: Error unmarshaling return header
            You'd need to set a multiple of 86,400,000. You could
            be up against a platform limit here. In Unix,
            according to Stevens vol II (p543), 'the time
            interval ... must be small enough so that when it is
            represented as clock ticks it fits within a short
            integer' (16 bits).
            Not sure what you mean. A multiple of 86,400,000? Anyway, these calls are no where near that long before they timeout, usually they timeout with this Unmarshal exception; I dunno 30-60 secs. So I think it is a different timeout that the JVM is using.
            • 3. Re: Error unmarshaling return header
              EJP
              The timeout value for a day is 24*60*60*1000 = 86,400,000. The point is that a timeout this long won't work on some platforms so if you are on one of those platforms you will getting a shorter effective timeout value. If 86,400,000 is truncated to 16 bits it would give you a 23-second timeout. I suggest you try a more practical timeout. 5 minutes (300,000ms) is usually plenty unless the computation at the other end is very lengthy.
              • 4. Re: Error unmarshaling return header
                Well, I have just set the client and server socket read timeouts to 0 in my RMI SSL Channel factory and I am still getting the same intermittent read timeout exception. That doesn't seem to make sense.
                • 5. Re: Error unmarshaling return header
                  Even I am facing the similar error while accessing mbean registered over RMI adaptor?
                  The issue occurs when I have many threads (more than 35) accessing mbean properties.
                  • 6. Re: Error unmarshaling return header
                    Even we are facing the same issue. Our client throws an read timeout exception though the server is running fine. We did a restart of the client alone and it all went through fine again. The server was not restarted only the client.
                    Searching in google found that many face this issue and no solution has been given so far :(
                    • 7. Re: Error unmarshaling return header
                      svvickky wrote:
                      Even we are facing the same issue. Our client throws an read timeout exception though the server is running fine. We did a restart of the client alone and it all went through fine again. The server was not restarted only the client.
                      Searching in google found that many face this issue and no solution has been given so far :(
                      Do you want help? Do in that case create a new thread and ask a specific question where you also describe your problem, and what you have tried to do in order to solve it.

I'm locking this old zombie thread so that it won't get resurrected again.

Kaj