This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 5, 2010 5:36 AM by 843793 RSS

Annotation is missing <clinit>

843793 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Ok, I have seen a few topics on this but none of them have provided a satisfactory answer. Moreover, I have been able to reproduce this issue with a very simple example. Within Eclipse it compiles like a charm but with Sun Java compiler it fails with an unundestandable message. I don't understand why the code below does not work. Is there a nice solution for such pattern or are we forced to store the DEFAULT_CLASS somewhere else? I find it kind of nice to store this in the annotation (it would have even been better to be able to write Class<? extends List> list() default DEFAULT_CLASS; but this is not allowed)
My config: Windows XP, JDK 1.5.0_22
import java.util.Vector;
import java.util.List;

public @interface Test {

public static final Class<? extends List> DEFAULT_CLASS = Vector.class;

Class<? extends List> list() default Vector.class;
}
import java.util.Vector;

public class Test1 {
     @Test
     public void hello() {}
}
To compile:
javac Test.java Test1.java
And the error it produces:
Test1.java:4: annotation Test is missing <clinit>
        @Test
         ^
1 error
I know that this does not do anything and that it's poor code but this is just to have an example.

Edited by: Guillaume.Polet on Mar 5, 2010 5:23 AM
  • 1. Re: Annotation is missing <clinit>
    843793 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    That's a strange error message.

Interestingly enough it seems to go away when you call javac with the Annotation and the annotated class at the same time ...

I'd report a bug (and I can confirm that the issue is still existent with Java 6 Update 16). I'd report it against a current JDK, as Java 5 isn't really supported anyway.