10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2010 8:48 AM by EdStevens RSS

Connection Problem

Hi All,

I have a weird connection problem.
      -- >When i tried connecting with sql plus such ">sqlplus username/password", it connected
      -- >When i tried connecting with sqldeveloper, pl-sql developer or from java it says: (with the saved connection urls i always use)
      TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: localhost:1521:XE

After connecting with sqlplus i run "select * from global_name" and it gave me "XE".
      Then i tried to connect as "sqlplus username/password@XE" it throwed the error above.

─▒sn't this weird?
      what would be the reason?

Thanks All...
        • 1. Re: Connection Problem
          hi,
          check Network Configuration File...TNSNAMES.ORA

Thnx
          MB
          • 2. Re: Connection Problem
            CKPT
            Hi,

can you check
            tnsping xe
            TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: localhost:1521:XE
            check the listener.log file and look for any errors like SERVICE DIED ?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Connection Problem
              I checked the tnsnames.ora i dont think that is the reason because i was able to connect yesterday and i did notdo anything except shutting down and booting my computer.

Hi result of the tnsping is below:
              C:\Documents and Settings\TTMALTIPARMAK>tnsping XE

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 26-EYL-2010 11:07:42

Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
              c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
              Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = XE)))
              OK (10 msec)

Edit:

No service died log in the log file.

Also i realized that "sqlplus user/pass@XE throws "TNS-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor"
              while sql developer "TNS-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID requested in connect descriptor"

Edited by: user9371286 on 26.Eyl.2010 01:13
              • 4. Re: Connection Problem
                CKPT
                hmmmm.

can you please post
                lsnrctl services
                earlier i have faced same issue, at that time i restarted the listener service from services.msc (before that check the status of listener in CMD and also from services.msc)

Thanks
                • 5. Re: Connection Problem
                  Thanks for the help
                  I also tried restarting all the services related with oracle =)
                  Here the response is

C:\Documents and Settings\TTMALTIPARMAK>lsnrctl services

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 26-EYL-2010 11:23:47

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC_FOR_XE)))
                  Services Summary...
                  Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                  Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                  Handler(s):
                  "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0
                  LOCAL SERVER
                  Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                  Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                  Handler(s):
                  LOCAL SERVER
                  The command completed successfully
                  • 6. Re: Connection Problem
                    CKPT
                    hi
                    check for any firewall
                    can you please post SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES?

set it to NTS or NONE....
                    • 7. Re: Connection Problem
                      it took a little time to find SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES,
                      it was set to (NTS), i find another forum post
                      and tried also setting to (NONE) but that did not worked too.

May be i am doing something wrong,
                      i ll re-try some of them after rebooting :D.

thank u very much for the answers if there is any more suggestion i would appreciate
                      • 8. Re: Connection Problem
                        still can not connect
                        • 9. Re: Connection Problem
                          still can not connect
                          • 10. Re: Connection Problem
                            EdStevens
                            CKPT wrote:
                            Hi,

can you check
                            tnsping xe
                            check the listener.log file and look for any errors like SERVICE DIED ?

Thanks
                            I don't think tnsping will throw that particular error. In fact, I have demonstrated on numerous occasions that tnsping doesn't prove anything about the service itself, but only goes as far as the listener itself .. showing that there is a listener at the host:port specified in the connect string. The response to tnsping from the listener is "yes, I - the listener - am here." It is not "yes, I'm here and I know about the service you asked about"