10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2008 10:02 AM by 807601 RSS

individual dimensions of a md array

Hello
      How/is it possible to get the individual dimensions of a multi-dimensional array? I want to setup for loops and cant figure how to do it for each of the dimensions. tia.
        • 1. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
          int[][] array = new int[5][4];
          int dim1 = array.length; //5
          int dim2 = array[0].length; //4
          • 2. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
            Hi newark
            Thanks. Which leads me to another questions. If I wanted a multi-dimensional array of objects, is the best/only way to do it as one ArrayList with additional Arraylists created for each row?
            • 3. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
              Why would you have to use ArrayList vs. normal arrays? What's wrong with this:
              String [][][] stringArray = new String[5][5][5];
              for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++)
                  for (int j = 0; j < 5; j++)
                      for (int k = 0; k < 5; k++)
                          stringArray[i][j][k] = new String();
              • 4. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
                You can create a two dimensional array of Objects.

You can also create a two dimensional ArrayList, as you say, with an ArrayList of ArrayLists... or a Vector of Vector's... or indeed a Collection of any other type of Collection... mix and match as you see fit.

One thing to remember with big collections is that arrays are a LOT smaller than Collections. Like 200,000 bytes in an array is about 200k... the same data in an ArrayList is 600k... ouch!
                • 5. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
                  Hi newark
                  That give a homogeneous array, I have object of different types and I want to keep them in their native types. So is the ArrayList(ArrayList)) the only and proper way?
                  • 6. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
                    You want a single array which holds different types of objects? Like, the same array will hold both Trinkets and Doodads? What's your reason for this?
                    • 7. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
                      Hi newark
                      I am parsing a csv file using ostermiller's utilities (vnice) and, of course, everything comes over as Strings. In the parsing I want to convert what I know to be objects, ints etc, into full objects and keep the true strings as Strings. So any given column in a row will be either a String or a int, therefore a hetrogenous array. So my thinking is I need a data structure that will allow me to store objects in their native format as a n-dimensional array. Albeit cumbersome an ArrayList(ArrayList)) seems natural. Ideas? tia.
                      • 8. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
                        Are the rows of your file related in any way? For example, if you had a csv file for a weight loss program:
                        John, 240, 210
                        Sally 170, 130
                        Where each row has a name (String), a current weight (int), and a goal weight (int). Now, if this is in any way similar to your csv file, where rows contain related data, you would create objects based on the row data.
                        class WeightLossCustomer {
                            String name;
                            int currentWeight;
                            int goalWeight;

public WeightLossCustomer(String n, int c, int g) {
                                name = n;
                                currentWeight = c;
                                goalWeight = g;
                            }
                        }
                        Then you'd create a 1D array of WeightLossCustomer's instead of some multidimensional array to store multiple data types.

Sorry if this is in no way relevant to your application.
                        • 9. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
                          Hi newark
                          You are one level higher than me. I wanted to keep the parsing object clean and pass off a hetro array to the object that knows how to format it. You are right each record is an object and I could create the object at the time of parsing and just pass off a simple ArrayList(). So is my approach correct/best for the lower level I need to implement?
                          • 10. Re: individual dimensions of a md array
                            Yes, I think your approach should work. Create an ArrayList of ArrayLists of Objects and it should be fine.

But remember, ArrayLists cannot hold primitive types like int. If you add a primitive to an ArrayList, it will autobox it into a primitive wrapper class like Integer. You'll need to know that when you try to get your data back out.

Edited by: newark on Apr 22, 2008 11:01 AM