1 2 3 Previous Next 139 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2007 8:58 AM by 807600 RSS

running javac

I really need someone to seriously help me with this issue. I have tried every single advice on Java's site, also google on javac. exe. I have set the path in different advised ways nothing works. I reinstalled the software several times too. I did a search Java seems to be correctly installed in my PC.

I am using W-XP. did this:

Control Panel -environmental variables, edit, then added

;F:\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin

also tried:
      ;F:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin

nothing work.

I created a Java directory in F:\ jdk is there

but the no bin ..

bin appears to be at ProgramFiles\Java and the rest is there I can see even javac there so why it doesn't work?

what to do?

I found a site that guided me to do this:

Control Panel-Environmental variables

Edit:
      Variable Name: classpath
      Variable Value: .

nothing works..

Please help?
        • 1. Re: running javac
          pequenita wrote:
          I really need someone to seriously help me with this issue. I have tried every single advice on Java's site, also google on javac. exe. I have set the path in different advised ways nothing works. I reinstalled the software several times too. I did a search Java seems to be correctly installed in my PC.
          No, you didn't, because if you had it'd be working by now. You're doing something wrong.
          Control Panel -environmental variables, edit, then added

;F:\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin
          To which environment variable? PATH? Is that where you see javac.exe?

>
          also tried:
          ;F:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\bin
          Which one did you install Java to? Both can't be right. Why are you fumbling like this? Surely you know the directory where you installed Java.

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the directory where you see javac.exe, cut & paste that path, and then add it to your PATH.
          nothing work.
          You've done everything wrong so far.
          I created a Java directory in F:\ jdk is there

but the no bin ..
          Right, because that's not where javac.exe is.
          bin appears to be at ProgramFiles\Java and the rest is there I can see even javac there so why it doesn't work?
          It's "Program Files" with a space, not "ProgramFiles".

That's a bad place to install Java, IMO. Paths with spaces tend to be problematic. Uninstall Java and reinstall to c:\JDKs.

Understand what you're doing when you set a PATH environment variable: You're telling the operating system directories in which to look for executables. You need to tell the OS to look in JAVA_HOME\bin for javac.exe and java.exe, where JAVA_HOME is the base directory you install Java to.

%
          • 2. Re: running javac
            What error does it report?
            • 3. Re: running javac
              Well pardon my jumble 'opinion' I do know something is wrong.. the problem is that I don't know what Is WRONG... I only looking for a solution... and so far I don't have it yet. However, I do appreciate your :"polite' response.
              • 4. Re: running javac
                pequenita wrote:
                Well pardon my jumble 'opinion' I do know something is wrong.. the problem is that I don't know what Is WRONG... I only looking for a solution... and so far I don't have it yet. However, I do appreciate your :"polite' response.
                Whose "polite" response are you talking about? I assume that since you put it in quotations you are implying that it was quite rude. However, of the two replies, I didn't see a single rude response.

Try posting the response to duffymo's questions and we'll do our best to help. (Keep in mind though that, even though you are really frustrated - it's not wise to take that frustration out on the forum members - especially those that have been here for a very long time - as it will undoubtedly result in no one wanting to help you.)
                • 5. Re: running javac
                  Let me keep trying. I tried to install Java at a Java directory I created on C.... instead it appears to be at Program Files... now is there a way to change that while installing??? bec. that't exactly what I did. try to to and somehow it didn't work.. so let me try again.. I will uninstall the program and will start from scratch again... I know the OS is not recognizing Java that part is VERY clear to me.

Nonetheless, I certainly appreciate your detailed answer. May I get back to you?? after I try for don't know how many times?

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: running javac
                    I didn't imply that it was rude response at all... I only accentuated that it was a polite response and so far it has been the only human been that have tried to give me a detailed answer.

Sorry if I give you a wrong impression.
                    • 7. Re: running javac
                      pequenita wrote:
                      I didn't imply that it was rude response at all... I only accentuated that it was a polite response and so far it has been the only human been that have tried to give me a detailed answer.

Sorry if I give you a wrong impression.
                      No problem at all, I was the one that misunderstood. :-)
                      • 8. Re: running javac
                        No problem. A valid correction from both of us. I certainly have no intention to offend any one.. I might sound a bit frustrated I admit it bec. this certainly seems to be a very silly mistake and it bothers me not being able to fix it. However, I do appreciate you comment, thanks again.
                        • 9. Re: running javac
                          Hi again,

Ok. I finally found part of the problem. Perhaps comment will help others as well. When downloading Java, if we don't pay attention to what's going on it goes to Program Files by default, didn't notice that before sorry. Now I finally have the files on the correct dir. C:\Java.

I did a search:
                          and I found this:

java.exe seems to be at c:\java\bin and I think this is the way I want it.

no other characters appear there now:

there is also this:

java.exe c:\java\jre\bin

so far I think everything looks good.. now the problem is I keep finding the same error as before javac is not recognized... what else to do? I checked the path.. and I think it is ok...

could you please help? whenever you can.

Thanks a million.
                          • 10. Re: running javac
                            Are you downloading the JDK or the JRE? "javac" does not ship with the JRE, it only ships with the SDK/JDK.
                            • 11. Re: running javac
                              I think you are wrong.

check this out:

JDK 6 Update 2
                              The Java SE Development Kit (JDK) includes the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and command-line development tools that are useful for developing applets and applications.
                              • 12. Re: running javac
                                pequenita wrote:
                                I think you are wrong.

check this out:

JDK 6 Update 2
                                The Java SE Development Kit (JDK) includes the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and command-line development tools that are useful for developing applets and applications.
                                No, I am not wrong.
                                JDK (note that I said JDK) 6 Update 2 includes the JRE. You can download the JRE without downloading the JDK. But you must download the JDK in order to get javac. If you have only downloaded the JRE, then you will not see javac. However, if you have download jdk6, then you will have the java compiler.
                                • 13. Re: running javac
                                  WEll.. then I am confused... that was the site I used to download the software

now that you mentioned.. I can see the bin folder but not javac...

I know it sounds silly but could you tell me where to find the correct version or else that I need? I thought I had finally done something right as can see the files in the correct dir. now.

Thanks.
                                  • 14. Re: running javac
                                    pequenita wrote:
                                    WEll.. then I am confused... that was the site I used to download the software

now that you mentioned.. I can see the bin folder but not javac...

I know it sounds silly but could you tell me where to find the correct version or else that I need? I thought I had finally done something right as can see the files in the correct dir. now.

Thanks.
                                    http://192.18.108.235/ECom/EComTicketServlet/BEGIN83F578D0C0B5A27B00FB808FEEB45DCB/111711027/2352128943/1/838358/840458/2352128943/2ts+/westCoastFSEND/jdk-6u2-oth-JPR/jdk-6u2-oth-JPR:2/jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next