2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2007 12:19 AM by 807600

Using Random Access Files

Hey all

so i have to create a random access file that i have to both write and read from, and it will be filled with records consisting of an integer (key field, between 0 and 9999), a double, and a string. (this will all go into a .dat file)

Okay so what i would do first usually is basically create 9999 blank records, and i have no problem doing this with just the integer and double.

I'll show you the code i have for creating blank records of just an integer(account number) and double (balance)

also note: when i say "Key field" i mean the field that will be used when i search for a record.

RandomAccessFile myFile = new RandomAccessFile("theFile.dat","rw")

final int RECORDSIZE = 12; //size of an integer is 4, size of a double is 8
                final int NUMRECORDS = 9999;
                try {

for(int x = 0; x < NUMRECORDS; ++x)
                     {
                          myFile.writeInt(0);
                          myFile.writeDouble(0.0);

}
                }
                      catch(IOException e) {

System.out.println("Error: " + e.getMessage());

}
      Right so, my problem:

When i want to add in a string, i have to use writeUTF() right? i'm not sure on either how to make a "blank" area for a string, since it could be of variable bytes. i've tried experimenting with a few things like in that loop there putting myFile.writeUTF(" "); but that obviously doesn't work.

so basically what i need is a way to, instead of having:

Int Double Int Double Int Double......... all the way through the dat file

i need to have:

Int String Double Int String Double Int String Double...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Edit: I think in simpler terms i think i'm trying to create a fixed length .dat file

Message was edited by:
      Adam123