This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2006 7:10 AM by 807598 RSS

Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator

807598 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
When I save java file using JCreator it puts file in C: by default (Snapshot: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3202/3806/400/JCreator%20file%20saving%20location1.jpg ). Instead I want to save the file in C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08\bin. How can I change the path.

Thanks a lot.
  • 1. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    I want to change the setting to save the file to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08\bin by default without using the 'Browse' button everytime.
  • 2. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    800322 Newbie
    I want to change the setting to save the file to
    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08\bin by default
    without using the 'Browse' button everytime.
    First, that's an awful place to store files.
    Second: ask JCreator support. This is a product support question and not really related to Java programming.
  • 3. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    Thank you CeciNEstPasUnProgrammeur for a quick reply. I asked this question here hoping that many will be using JCreator. Sorry if its not the right place.

You wrote "First, that's an awful place to store files." Shall I know why. When I install Java SDK it generally use to reside in C:\jdk... But this when I installed it, it was automatically placed inside Program Files C:\Program Files\Java\jdk...( This time my OS is XP Media Centre while I used XP Pro earlier).

Is there any disadvantage/problem because of jdk being inside C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_08.

Thanks a lot.
  • 4. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    800322 Newbie
    You wrote "First, that's an awful place to store
    files." Shall I know why.
    The problem is not with having that directory, it's with storiung things there. You only need that place in your system path, because all you want to do with it is call the .exes inside.

Your classes and other files should be someplace else, where you won't lose them even if you uninstall that JDK, and where you can keep track of all the libraries and packages used.
  • 5. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    Ok. Shall I save the files/classes in C:\some new folder. If do so what changes should I with the paths (I think there were lots discussion in this topic earlier. Could you give me a good link please).

Will it be a good to save those files/classes in drives other that C:. (I wont lose the files even if I format C: while installing OS).

Thank You.
  • 6. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    800322 Newbie
    Ok. Shall I save the files/classes in C:\some new
    folder.
    Yes.
    If do so what changes should I with the paths
    Nothing.
    Will it be a good to save those files/classes in
    drives other that C:. (I wont lose the files even if
    I format C: while installing OS).
    Doesn't matter at all.
    1) They just have to be in the CLASSPATH
    2) The system's CLASSPATH setting doesn'T matter anyway since you use an IDE
  • 7. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    Doesn't matter at all.
    1) They just have to be in the CLASSPATH
    I dont understand what a CLASSPATH is.

How and where can I check whether the directory I use to save is in CLASSPATH.
    2) The system's CLASSPATH setting doesn'T matter
    anyway since you use an IDE
    IDE - did you mean JCreator ( I am new to JAVA and JCreator. I dont know whether JCreator is an IDE or not. I just came accross the name JCreator in this forum. I downloaded with crack using file sharing networks. Is it ok for me to use JCreator at this stage or should I use something else. While searching through this entire forum I came accross various editors and IDEs like Eclipse SDK, Notepad++, NetBeans, jEdit, Bluej, JPad Pro, JCreator, Crimson Editor, Zeus, idea, SciTE, SoftSmithy, etc., Some are proprietary softwares some are open source softwares. I always prefer to use open source products. So first I tried JEdit, but I could not turn on the automatic indentation. So I tried JCreator. Apart from automatic indentation and colouring it has autocomplete features. I felt comfortable and its reasonably fast. So till now I am sticking to it. Do anyothet code editor has additional features. Will that be helpful for me at this early stage ? )

Message was edited by:
    Madhu84
  • 8. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    I use JCreator. When you go to File > New File, you can type in the name of the file and change where you want to save it.
  • 9. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    794342 Newbie
    I want to change the setting to save the file to ... by default without using the 'Browse' button everytime.
    Configure/Options/Directories/Default Project Directory
  • 10. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    Configure/Options/Directories/Default Project
    Directory
    Thank you. I changed the 'Default Project Directory'.

The 'Project Path' in the 'New Project Wizard' has changed.

But the default file saving location (C: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3202/3806/400/JCreator%20file%20saving%20location1.jpg ) did not change.
  • 11. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    794342 Newbie
    works fine for JCreator 2.5 (still available as download)

when you create a new file, just type in the class name and the directory will be
    automatically created (under that specified in the default settings)

for JCreator 3.0, you need to create a workspace (file/new blank workspace),
    give it a name/location, then all files will default there (until new workspace set)

JCreator 2.5 is simpler when doing just stand-alone files.
  • 12. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    works fine for JCreator 2.5 (still available as
    download)
    I am using JCreator v3.50 Pro. Where can I get the full version of v2.50

I changed the project path ( http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3202/3806/400/current%20project%20directory%20path1.0.jpg ) as I told there was no change.

I even tried reinstalling the sw. By setting JDK JavaDoc directory in JCreator ( http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3202/3806/400/setting%20directory1.jpg ). But the file always gets saved in C: ( http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3202/3806/400/JCreator%20file%20saving%20location1.jpg )
  • 13. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    800308 Newbie
    Madhu,

Google "programmers editor" (I like http://www.editplus.com)... a simple text editor is a lot easier to use for simple programming exercises and examples... because it allows you to concentrate on the language, instead of dealing with some smartass IDE.

I reckon the IDE vendors really should address this, because it puts learners off their packages, which has to impact their market share eventually. Java (et al) is kicking .net's posterior because it's cheaper & easier & to learn... not coz it's got a snazzier IDE.

Come back to the IDE when you know the language, or nead it's features, like Struts code generation, UML modeling, refactoring, or Georges favourite... automatic war deployment.

I know this probably isn't what you wanted to here. But your frustrating experience just trying to get the sucker to save a file where you want to is exactly the kind of thing I'm banging on about.

Cheers. Keith.
  • 14. Re: Help needed for saving Java file using JCreator
    807598 Newbie
    Sure Keith. In the above posts all i wanted to know is whether there was anyway to solve the problem. If there no way, obviously none of us can do anything.

Now I have uninstalled JCreator (since i experieneced someother problems too).

Please suggest be a editor/IDE my necessities are:
    1. Auto indentation,
    2. Colouring the key/reserved words,
    3. Step by step execution to follow the program flow
    4. Feature to see the value of the local variable.

Thanks a lot.

Message was edited by:
    Madhu84