1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2009 9:45 AM by 843798 RSS

Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working

I received the following pop-up from Windows last night:

Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
      Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
      available.

I can't find anything about this on the MS or Sun sites, so I have to assume that it's either rare or new. Does anyone know what it means? From the message text I assume it means that windows was terminating the JVM.

This is a new Dell M90, 2.33GHz Core Duo, 2G memory, with Vista Business version 6.0.6000.

The java version is:

java version "1.6.0-oem"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-oem-b104)
      Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-oem-b104, mixed mode)

I teach J2EE classes online, so this is potentially a major problem. There were no Java apps running, and I have yet to install any IDEs or application servers. I did have some problems the preceding day with the Sun Secure Global Desktop 4.20.909 (could not get to login dialog under IE7 or FireFox).

A user in a Vista forum suggested that I install the b105 runtime, but I'd rather have some idea of the underlying problem first.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
          I've been receiving the same message. Did you ever get any responses to your question? Have you solved the problem?
          • 2. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
            I got the same message on my new computer yesterday, but in Swedish. As I have a brand new computer from HP with Windows Vista Home Basic installed, I called the customer technical support divsion of HP and got the advice to check which version I have of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on the Java website. After testing, I found that I had Java Runtime Version 1.6.0 that is not the latest one. So I downloaded free 7,1 MB from www.java.com/ JRE verion 6 update 1. I used the Windows Installer Wizard and followed the instructions on the screen.
            After some minutes the installation was completed, and I checked the result by verifying the version again. As an answer I got: "Congratulations, yhou have the latest Java-version!

I hope this procedure will be usful also in your case
            //Lars 4827
            • 3. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
              Hi,
              I have a similar kind of problem that you had running jave run time se on your computer. I mean a windows pop up shows me <java run time se> has stopped working or <internet explorer has stopped working. I need java to access my university's webct. I have no idea what to do now? Did you get your problem resolved? Can you help me with it?
              Please!! please!
              Avinash Kothapalli
              • 4. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                Hi,
                I have been trying to run a programme,360share Pro, the programme is not responding.The error message is that Java(TM) Platform SE binary is not responding, I am using an HP tablet PC with windows vista home premium. I have installed Java version 6 update 5. Does anyone have a solution to this problem.

Efeke
                • 5. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                  Hi,

I've got the same message today.
                  Do someone has a solution for it ?

Stefan
                  • 6. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                    i too got same message
                    i could not browse for internet

any solution?

kindly send me solutions to sriniclick@gmail.com
                    • 8. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                      Did you get an answer? I'm having same problem.
                      • 9. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                        Hi!
                        I'm new in here, my OS is Vista Ultimate 32 bit, SP1 and just want to share my solution for the Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working.
                        Just go to this page: http://download.java.net/jdk6/
                        and download the file: jre-6u10-rc2-bin-b32-windows-i586-p-12_sep_2008.ex
                        Hope it can help,
                        Cheer
                        • 10. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                          Well the message above didn't do it for me, and I can't find an answer for this problem anywhere on the internet, although seemingly many people are encountering it. Anyone ever finds a workaround please post it here, very frustrating... "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working"... over and over...
                          • 11. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                            Well, after hours of working on this I finally fixed MY problem by doing these two things, maybe one or both will help you.

First, I went into Tools> Internet Options> Security and unchecked the box for protected mode.

Then I removed the current version of Java and went here: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/
                            Downloaded version 5 update 15

One or both of those things worked for me as everything works properly now... good luck!
                            • 12. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                              I am having the same problem in my PC (Brazil) , it's really annoyng and I wasn't able to find a solution, up to now. Does your suggestion of dowloading that specifc file, will work with any Windows Vista (mine is Home Premium)? I will try it anyway .
                              Agalmeida
                              • 13. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                                M8 it's because u either need 2 update or re-install java. If that doesnt work contact sun for java support. Also try updating it first
                                • 14. Re: Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working
                                  Hello all! I know webpage design and other but error messages oh goodness!!! Ok had the about the same issue, started with error msg "ssvagent.exe Entry Point Not Found...", then right after the next error msg popped up "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working". (But still let me go online). I run a new Emachine, 4GB ram, 64, Vista, Internet Explorer 8. I read the blog or forums about this issue, but I done something different. I went to "Control Panel / Programs and Features... it showed that I had in my computer Java(TM) 6 update 5 and also Java(TM) 6 update 11. Rethought the situation and googled for an update on Java Runtime Environment with this platform SE and it showed me Java 6 update 13, which I downloaded at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp (I downloaded the online version). Restarted my computer, clicked on IE 8 and no more error messages!!! Had to do it again to make sure no error messages will pop up hahaha... and also checked once more in my "Program and Features" and the Java(TM) 6 update 5 and the Java(TM) 6 update 13 showed in there. Not sure what happened to the update 11 but who cares the computer is working!!! Hope that helps someone in the future!!! Good luck!!! Afra
                                  1 2 Previous Next