This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2010 6:52 PM by EJP RSS

Generating Random numbers

843789 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
how do I generates 6 pairs of random integer (int) values with values between 1 and 100. For each generated pair, i want to use an if-else statement to classify the first value as greater than, less than, or equal to the second value. my output will display BOTH generated values as well as the classification in the format "Number 1 <classification> Number 2", one number pair per output line, where <classification> is "less than", "equals" or "greater than".
  • 1. Re: Generating Random numbers
    796447 Newbie
    Thank you for simply re-wording your homework assignment and attempting to dump it on us.
    Would you like fries with that?
  • 2. Re: Generating Random numbers
    3004 Newbie
    adibles wrote:
    how do I generates 6 pairs of random integer (int) values with values between 1 and 100. For each generated pair, i want to use an if-else statement to classify the first value as greater than, less than, or equal to the second value. my output will display BOTH generated values as well as the classification in the format "Number 1 <classification> Number 2", one number pair per output line, where <classification> is "less than", "equals" or "greater than".
    Okay, so exactly what have you tried and exactly what problems did you encounter?
  • 3. Re: Generating Random numbers
    796447 Newbie
    jverd wrote:
    adibles wrote:
    Okay, so exactly what have you tried and exactly what problems did you encounter?
    Ooh! Ooh! I know!
    He tried: Dumping his homework on a forum (or more than one, probably)
    The problems he encountered: Received flak for doing so
  • 4. This Thread is now moved
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    Note: This thread was originally posted in the [Java Programming|http://forums.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=31] forum, but moved to this forum for closer topic alignment.
  • 5. Re: Generating Random numbers
    843789 Newbie
    If you decide to actually start doing your own homework, you may notice that each sentence of your assignment maps almost directly to equivalent Java code in the solution. Give it a shot.
  • 6. Re: Generating Random numbers
    843789 Newbie
    Wow. If you want to try and recover from the beating you took here, you better produce some code and show us what you have so far. You can't come in here ask someone to generate code for you. Effort goes a long ways in here.
  • 7. Re: Generating Random numbers
    796367 Explorer
    I'd like to know how to generate some random women myself... and I hope my wife and kids aint reading this.
  • 8. Re: Generating Random numbers
    843789 Newbie
    Hi Guys,

I have read all your mails, messages and abuses. I think this forum is to help and solve people's problems.

By the way, I have come up with a solution but I still want you guys to give it a second look to see if it is achieving the purpose of the post.

import java.util.*;

public class RandomIntegerCompare {

public static void main(String[] args) {

for(int i = 1; i <= 6; i++){
    Random rand = new Random();
    int NumOne = rand.nextInt(100);

int NumTwo = rand.nextInt(100);

System.out.println("NumOne = " + NumOne + " NumTwo = " + NumTwo);
    if (NumOne < NumTwo)
    System.out.println( "NumOne < NumTwo");
    else if (NumOne > NumTwo)
    System.out.println("NumOne > NumTwo");
    else
    System.out.println("NumOne=NumTwo");

}
    }

}

Result

NumOne = 81 NumTwo = 91
    NumOne < NumTwo
    NumOne = 54 NumTwo = 36
    NumOne > NumTwo
    NumOne = 5 NumTwo = 0
    NumOne > NumTwo
    NumOne = 37 NumTwo = 52
    NumOne < NumTwo
    NumOne = 36 NumTwo = 90
    NumOne < NumTwo
    NumOne = 34 NumTwo = 0
    NumOne > NumTwo
  • 9. Re: Generating Random numbers
    3004 Newbie
    adibles wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I have read all your mails, messages and abuses.
    DId you also read the good advice on how to get help?
    I think this forum is to help and solve people's problems.
    Help, yes. Do your work for you, no. Go back and re-read your first post. Does it look like you're making a reasonable request for help, including providing people with enough information to understand what specifically you're having trouble with? Or does it look like, "I can't be bothered to make an effort, not even to explain to you what I've tried and where specifically I'm stuck"?
  • 10. Re: Generating Random numbers
    3004 Newbie
    adibles wrote:
    By the way, I have come up with a solution but I still want you guys to give it a second look to see if it is achieving the purpose of the post.
    If you want anyone to read your code, you'll need to present it formatted, in code tags. Copy/paste from your original source in your editor (NOT from your previous post here). Highlight the code, and click the CODE button. Use the Preview tab to see how your post will look.

However, you don't really need anyone here to tell you whether it meets your requirements or not. You know what the code is supposed to do. Run it with appropriate test data and see if it produces the expected results.
  • 11. Re: Generating Random numbers
    843789 Newbie
    If you want anyone to read your code, you'll need to present it formatted, in code tags. Copy/paste from your original source in your editor (NOT from your previous post here). Highlight the code, and click the CODE button. Use the Preview tab to see how your post will look

Thank you for your advice, I am new this forum and Java.
  • 12. Re: Generating Random numbers
    796447 Newbie
    adibles wrote:
    Hi Guys,

You were not abused. You received due responses according to the way you dumped your homework to a forum. Maybe next time you'll think a little before you end up doing that again.

Yes, your code looks like it will meet the requirements. I hope you didn't "borrow" that from someone else, and I hope you didn't post in multiple forums. But I bet you did, to both.
  • 13. Re: Generating Random numbers
    EJP Guru
    There are no mails here, and no abuse either than I can see.

If you continue to have concerns about that, you can use the Report Abuse button above, or [post in this thread|http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5449680&tstart=0].