7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2010 8:50 PM by 843789 RSS

Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?

Some of the code examples I see look like instantiation of interfaces. But this is not possible. I would like to know what is happening here 'under the hood' and would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this.

jchkBold.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
                  public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
                      setNewFont();
                  }
              });
      This looks like an attempt to instantiate an anonymous ActionListener.

In the following example, which works fine, it appears that AudioClip has been instantiated.
      import java.net.URL;
      import java.applet.Applet;
      import java.applet.AudioClip;
      import javax.swing.JLabel;
      import javax.swing.JApplet;
      import javax.swing.ImageIcon;

public class DisplayImagePlayAudio extends JApplet {

private AudioClip audioClip;
          URL urlImage = this.getClass().getResource("./images/denmark.gif");
          URL urlAudio = this.getClass().getResource("./audio/denmark.mid");

public DisplayImagePlayAudio() {       
          }

@Override
          public void init() {
              this.add(new JLabel(new ImageIcon(urlImage)));
              audioClip = Applet.newAudioClip(urlAudio);
              audioClip.play();
          }

@Override
          public void start() {
              if (audioClip != null) {
                  audioClip.play();
              }
          }

@Override
          public void stop() {
              if (audioClip != null) {
                  audioClip.stop();
              }
          }
      }
        • 1. Re: Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?
          gimbal2
          Equitus wrote:
          This looks like an attempt to instantiate an anonymous ActionListener.
          You already answered your own question. Lookup anonymous inner classes.
          • 2. Re: Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?
            Equitus wrote:
            Some of the code examples I see look like instantiation of interfaces. But this is not possible. I would like to know what is happening here 'under the hood' and would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this.
            >

jchkBold.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
            public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
            setNewFont();
            }
            });
            You didn't do this:
            new ActionListener() ;
            You did this, instead:
            new ActionListener() { anonymous inner class body } ;
            That form, whether used with an interface, abstract class, or concrete class, defines an anonymous inner class that implicitly implements the interface or extends the class. It's as if you did:
            class X implements ActionListener() {
              anonymous inner class body
            }

new X();
            except the class isn't actually called X. It doesn't have a name that you can use to refer to it in your code.
            • 3. Re: Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?
              And to answer the other question:
              In the following example, which works fine, it appears that AudioClip has been instantiated.
              audioClip = Applet.newAudioClip(urlAudio);
              Note that it doesn't instantiate AudioClip - it doesn't do:
              new AudioClip(...)
              but rather
              Applet.newAudioClip(...)
              . You don't need to know or care what that method does, you just know it returned an instance of a concrete, instantiable class that implements/extends AudioClip.
              • 4. Re: Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?
                Thank you jverd. You explanation is clear. I had guessed that some kind of implicit instantiation of another object must be underneath this construction. I speculated that it might be a copy of its outer class, with the new instance implementing the interface. You have called it object X. Is this an instance of Object?

Thanks also warnerja. I guess from your answer that there is a new copy of Applet class instantiated. The line here:
                seems to declare an object AudioClip. Presumably the declarations do not determine if the entity is to become a primitive, object or object that extends or implements something else until the next step, in which the declaration becomes an entity of some kind. In that case, this seems to suggest that if the entity will be cast in the form given in the line above. Am I correct to conclude that you can cast Applet as AudioClip? If so, would something like this create an object that implements the interface.
                InterfaceName nameObj = new ClassName();
                ?
                • 5. Re: Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?
                  Equitus wrote:
                  Thank you jverd. You explanation is clear. I had guessed that some kind of implicit instantiation of another object must be underneath this construction. I speculated that it might be a copy of its outer class, with the new instance implementing the interface. You have called it object X. Is this an instance of Object?
                  Every instance of every class is an instance of Object. But no, it's not just "plain ol' Object." It's a new class that's defined on the fly that is a direct subclass of Object (in the case of implementing an interface) or a direct subclass of whatever parent class you specified with new (in the case of extending a class).
                  Thanks also warnerja. I guess from your answer that there is a new copy of Applet class instantiated. The line here:
                  seems to declare an object AudioClip.
                  It declares a variable of type "reference to AudioClip."
                  Presumably the declarations do not determine if the entity is to become a primitive, object or object that extends or implements something else until the next step,
                  It can't be a primitive unless the type you declare is one of the primitives, none of which have subtypes. If you declare it as a reference type (class or interface), as is done here, then all that say is that it's a reference that will either be null or will point to an object that is a concrete instance of the indicated type or a subtype. That is it will be that class or a subclass, or a class that implements that interface.
                  in which the declaration becomes an entity of some kind.
                  Now you're just making up terms. It's just a variable, and the variable has a type. This is true for all variables. There's no "entity of some kind" voodoo.
                  Am I correct to conclude that you can cast Applet as AudioClip?
                  Er, no. Why would you think that?
                  • 6. Re: Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?
                    Equitus wrote:
                    Is this an instance of Object?
                    Every object is an instance of Object, although I don't know if that's what jverd meant or what you mean.
                    I guess from your answer that there is a new copy of Applet class instantiated. The line here:
                    seems to declare an object AudioClip.
                    Actually it declares that audioClip is a reference to an object of type AudioClip, or null.
                    Presumably the declarations do not determine if the entity is to become a primitive, object or object that extends or implements something else until the next step, in which the declaration becomes an entity of some kind.
                    No, see above.
                    In that case, this seems to suggest that if the entity will be cast in the form given in the line above. Am I correct to conclude that you can cast Applet as AudioClip?
                    No, they're different things. But the class Applet has a static method (a method that doesn't require an instance of the Applet class) that can create an object of type AudioClip. That method was invoked, and the AudioClip object that was created was assigned to the audioClip variable.
                    • 7. Re: Looks like instantiation of interfaces; what is it?
                      Thank you all. Your remarks have made the matter clearer.