1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 12:12 AM by 843785

Attempting to give a string array a value?

Hello, I need to save the information of the raceTrack, but unable to get the program to continue past this point, spent the entire day researching, any clues

int amtTracks = Integer.parseInt (in.readLine());

String raceTrack[] = new String [amtTracks];
                          int noTracks [] = new int [amtTracks];
                          int trackCode [] = new int [amtTracks];

for (int i=0; i<amtTracks; i++){

System.out.println ("Please enter track ID number, followed by the name");

trackCode = Integer.parseInt (in.readLine ());
                          raceTrack [i] = in.readLine();

Error: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string
        • 1. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
          nvm!

misread the code!

Edited by: phdk on 09-02-2009 19:25
          • 2. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
            acestarr wrote:
            Hello, I need to save the information of the raceTrack, but unable to get the program to continue past this point, spent the entire day researching, any clues

int amtTracks = Integer.parseInt (in.readLine());

String raceTrack[] = new String [amtTracks];
                                int noTracks [] = new int [amtTracks];
                                int trackCode [] = new int [amtTracks];

for (int i=0; i<amtTracks; i++){

System.out.println ("Please enter track ID number, followed by the name");

trackCode = Integer.parseInt (in.readLine ());
                                raceTrack [i] = in.readLine();

Error: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string

What line generated the exception? This one?
            trackCode  = Integer.parseInt (in.readLine ());
            If so, the first step is to go one step at a time:
            String trackCodeString = in.readLine ();
            System.out.println("trackCodeString is[" + trackCodeString + "]");
            trackCode [i] = Integer.parseInt (trackCodeString );
            Commonsense?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
            • 3. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
              Thanks for the response, but actually the error is in String raceTrack = new String [amtTracks], i think i'm attempting to give the aray a value, but the error from research seems to mean that this can't be done using an int, therefore the value for the array is null

Screen Dump:

Welcome to Keep Track of My RaceHorse
              Please enter the number of tracks for which you have data
              Please enter track ID number, followed by the name
              k
              Please enter track ID number, followed by the name
              Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "k"
              at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
              at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:447)
              at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:497)
              at raceHorsescw02.main(raceHorsescw02.java:56)
              • 4. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                at raceHorsescw02.main(raceHorsescw02.java:56)
                Whatever line 56 is, it's trying to parse "k" are though it was an integer. M'kay?
                • 5. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                  I hear what u'r saying but i don't really understand y this is happening,

line 56: trackCode = Integer.parseInt (in.readLine ());
                  • 6. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                    acestarr wrote:
                    I hear what u'r saying but i don't really understand y this is happening,

line 56: trackCode = Integer.parseInt (in.readLine ()); Ah-ha! Have you tried what I suggested in reply #2? What you are trying to do here is essentially:
                    trackCode  = Integer.parseInt ("k");
                    Is it any surprise this fails?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                    • 7. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                      Congratulations on hitting 15,000, DrL.
                      • 8. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                        BigDaddyLoveHandles wrote:
                        Right back atcha for 10,000, BigGuy. Take you out to lunch to celebrate?
                        • 9. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                          Thx 4 the explanation, be gentle, this is my 3rd mth in java (lol)

Sorry for being such a blockhead...but this would mean my for statement is not functioning
                          • 10. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                            Dal makhani and poutine for everyone!
                            • 11. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                              DrLaszloJamf wrote:
                              Sounds good, but not Chinese. The last time the waiter kept coming onto me. I ordered Chow mein, but he kept saying "You want poke? You want poke?"
                              • 12. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                                DrLaszloJamf wrote:
                                Sounds good, but not Chinese. The last time the waiter kept coming onto me. I ordered Chow mein, but he kept saying "You want poke? You want poke?"
                                Pork. He was asking you if you wanted Pork chow mein.
                                • 13. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                                  DrLaszloJamf wrote:
                                  DrLaszloJamf wrote:
                                  Oh. If I had known that I could have avoided that awkward scene at his apartment.
                                  • 14. Re: Attempting to give a string array a value?
                                    DrLaszloJamf wrote:
                                    DrLaszloJamf wrote:
                                    Oh. If I had known that I could have avoided that awkward scene at his apartment.
                                    You shouldn't take things so literally. "Lucky Hung Fat D&ouml;ng" is only the name of the restaurant.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next