This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2010 4:32 AM by 843802 RSS

Java Multimedia

843802 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Can i process audio signal using java?. Is there any methods to separate different instrument's frequencies from a audio file (mp3/wav/..any format). Can i control gain and phase of audio signal. Please advice me on these queries.

Thank you,

Sreejith.P.M
  • 1. Re: Java Multimedia
    843802 Newbie
    Sreejith.P.M wrote:
    Can i process audio signal using java?.
    Yes, see [http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17409_01/javase/tutorial/sound/index.html|http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17409_01/javase/tutorial/sound/index.html].
    Is there any methods to separate different instrument's frequencies from a audio file (mp3/wav/..any format).
    Not directly. You can use the Discrete Fourier Transform implemented using a Fast Fourier Transform to get average frequencies over a short period. I use 0.2 seconds which means I can resolve to about 5Hz. You can handle 'wav' files directly (with some limitations) but you will need to use JLayer for mp3.

Much of the work has been done for you by javazoom. Google is your friend.
    Can i control gain and phase of audio signal.
    You need to be more specific in specifying your requirement for these.
  • 2. Re: Java Multimedia
    843802 Newbie
    Hi,

Thank you for your help,

How i can realize Discrete Fourier Transform with Fast Fourier Transform using java code. Is there any examples or study materials for this.

controlling gain and phase- ie, i need to improve efficiency of each instruments separately after spatially separating harmonics of one audio signal. Is java supports this type of audio processes? actually i am poor with signal processing, i need to study and try to realize these steps through code.

thank you,

Sree
  • 3. Re: Java Multimedia
    843802 Newbie
    I asked one more question on this page. How i can make queries on same question?
  • 4. Re: Java Multimedia
    843802 Newbie
    Sreejith.P.M wrote:
    How i can realize Discrete Fourier Transform with Fast Fourier Transform using java code. Is there any examples or study materials for this.
    Err ... did you google 'javazoom' as I suggested?

>
    controlling gain and phase- ie, i need to improve efficiency of each instruments separately after spatially separating harmonics of one audio signal.
    One of us has a misunderstanding. I am not aware of any signal processing concept that will allow one to separate out instruments. What do you mean by 'improve efficiency' ? What do you mean by 'spatially separating harmonics' ?
    Is java supports this type of audio processes?
    I'm pretty sure not directly but there again I don't really understand what you are asking.
    actually i am poor with signal processing,
    Then you have a steep learning curve if you are going to do anything other than the most trivial signal processing.
    i need to study and try to realize these steps through code.