This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2010 12:12 PM by 809116 RSS

Java 3D API Tutorial - Source Code?

843799 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello! I dove into Java 3D a couple of nights ago, quickly coming upon the official Java 3D API Tutorial located here. It's a great series, but it doesn't mean much to me without solid example source code. Yes, I saw the link on that page entitled "accompanying source bundle", but that simply sends me to the Java 3D download center. I tried every link reasonable on that page, including the 1.5.1 Implementation Documentation, but even that seems to be only a collection of links pointing to the class database. That's great, I'll need that too, but I'm still missing the example source code. Can anyone tell me where to find it? Maybe I missed a folder in the Implementation Documentation or something, I just don't know.
  • 1. Re: Java 3D API Tutorial - Source Code?
    843799 Newbie
    Try here. I think the source code you are looking for is here at the bottom of the page under example programs source code.

https://java3d.dev.java.net/binary-builds.html
  • 2. Re: Java 3D API Tutorial - Source Code?
    843799 Newbie
    Thank you! However, Appendix A of Sun’s Tutorial (bundled with Chapter 0) lists the example programs supposedly included in the source, and it just doesn’t seem to coincide well with the link you provided. I mean, it’s great to have any repository of source code at all, but I’m baffled...if that is the proper link, why did Sun’s website point me to their own completely irrelevant download center?
  • 3. Re: Java 3D API Tutorial - Source Code?
    InteractiveMesh Explorer
    Hi, a copy of the Java 3D API Tutorial source code is now available here:

http://www.interactivemesh.org/off/download/java3d_tutorial_examples_src.zip

August

Copyright & License
    /*
     * Copyright (c) 1996-2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
     * Sun grants you ("Licensee") a non-exclusive, royalty free, license to use,
     * modify and redistribute this software in source and binary code form,
     * provided that i) this copyright notice and license appear on all copies of
     * the software; and ii) Licensee does not utilize the software in a manner
     * which is disparaging to Sun.
     * This software is provided "AS IS," without a warranty of any kind. ALL
     * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY
     * IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR
     * NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED. SUN AND ITS LICENSORS SHALL NOT BE
     * LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES SUFFERED BY LICENSEE AS A RESULT OF USING, MODIFYING
     * OR DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE OR ITS DERIVATIVES. IN NO EVENT WILL SUN OR ITS
     * LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST REVENUE, PROFIT OR DATA, OR FOR DIRECT,
     * INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, HOWEVER
     * CAUSED AND REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF
     * OR INABILITY TO USE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF SUN HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE
     * POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
     * This software is not designed or intended for use in on-line control of
     * aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in
     * the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
     * facility. Licensee represents and warrants that it will not use or
     * redistribute the Software for such purposes.
     */
  • 4. Re: Java 3D API Tutorial - Source Code?
    809116 Newbie
    Thanx InteractiveMesh ...!

you really saved my day...!
    The java3d tutorial is now a cakewalk..!

-Neo182