4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 3:08 PM by captfoss

Porting JMF - Native source code to android based

I am creating an Android application which uses the JMF (SIP, RTP, JAIN). So i downloaded the JMF source code for some adhoc change to my application.

The basic questions
      1. How will it behave the "native files - C/C++/header" in JMF source files(downloaded)? because android is based on java right now.
      2. Is there any complete different way to porting/doing the SIP, RTP working in android?

Any suggestion and comment about this?

Advance thanks.
        • 1. Re: Porting JMF - Native source code to android based
          captfoss
          MRK-ThinkBIG wrote:
          I am creating an Android application which uses the JMF (SIP, RTP, JAIN). So i downloaded the JMF source code for some adhoc change to my application.
          I wouldn't recommend doing that, as JMF is old technology and is never, ever going to be supported again. You'd be better off using J2ME stuff, or waiting until the replacement for JMF is released (the name of which is escaping me right now...) which will be a few days before or after sometime later...

But to answer your questions...
          1. How will it behave the "native files - C/C++/header" in JMF source files(downloaded)? because android is based on java right now.
          Per my understanding, the native files in JMF are (1) Wrappers around capture APIs, like VFW or VFL APIs. (2) (de/en)coding libraries.

As such, I doubt Android will have VFW or VFL, so the native API wrappers = useless.

If Android is a purely Java OS, then those native files won't be able to do anything anyway. You don't need them, the JMF cross-platform compatibility pack is pure Java and should run on anything with the full JRE.
          2. Is there any complete different way to porting/doing the SIP, RTP working in android?
          Ummmm, step one would be to throw jmf.jar onto the device along with a tiny little test app (maybe something that plays an AVI encoded with RGB video / linear audio) and see if you can get it to run. If you can, then you should have access to anything listed in the "Cross-platform" column of:

[http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html]
          • 2. Re: Porting JMF - Native source code to android based
            captfoss
            MRK-ThinkBIG wrote:
            I wouldn't recommend doing that, as JMF is old technology and is never, ever going to be supported again. You'd be better off using J2ME stuff, or waiting until the replacement for JMF is released (the name of which is escaping me right now...) which will be a few days before or after sometime later...

But to answer your questions...
            Per my understanding, the native files in JMF are (1) Wrappers around capture APIs, like VFW or VFL APIs. (2) (de/en)coding libraries.

As such, I doubt Android will have VFW or VFL, so the native API wrappers = useless.

If Android is a purely Java OS, then those native files won't be able to do anything anyway. You don't need them, the JMF cross-platform compatibility pack is pure Java and should run on anything with the full JRE.
            Ummmm, step one would be to throw jmf.jar onto the device along with a tiny little test app (maybe something that plays an AVI encoded with RGB video / linear audio) and see if you can get it to run. If you can, then you should have access to anything listed in the "Cross-platform" column of:

[http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html]
            • 3. Re: Porting JMF - Native source code to android based
              The downloaded JMF source code is not direct under from sun.com(this) site but thread start from this forum only.

Is there any link from sun.com(this) site for JMF source code?
              • 4. Re: Porting JMF - Native source code to android based
                captfoss
                MRK-ThinkBIG wrote:
                Is there any link from sun.com(this) site for JMF source code?
                No.