This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2010 8:34 AM by 843802 RSS

Detecting if Scripting Of java applets is disabled in browser.

843802 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear All,
Under Tools->InterNet Options-Security->Custom Level ->Scripting .

(Under Scripting we have Active Scripting and Scripting Of java Applets both having enable disable options.)
We can know whether Active Scripting is enabled or disabled using NOSCRIPT tag.But how to detect the settings for the property "Scripting Of java Applets " .How to know if this is enabled or disabled??
  • 1. Re: Detecting if Scripting Of java applets is disabled in browser.
    843802 Newbie
    "Scripting Of Java Applets" option only controls whether script languages can call Java Applet composed by <applet> tag. If <object> tag is used to load applet, that option makes no effect.

If the purpose is to control scriptability of your applet, set the following parameter with your <object> tag instead:

<object ....
    <param name = "scriptable" value = "false">
    </object>

-- dp
  • 2. Re: Detecting if Scripting Of java applets is disabled in browser.
    843802 Newbie
    Hi all,

1) I would like to detect whether the java-plugin of the internet explorer is enabled (i.e., Scripting Of java Applets is activated or not) using Java Script.
    Within firefox this could be easily done using the Java-Script "navigator.javaEnabled" method.
    Unfortunately, this method does not work in IE.

Moreover, I tried the "pinlady" detection (http://www.pinlady.net/PluginDetect/) as well as the "deployJava.js" (http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/applet/applet_deployment.html) "libraries". Both "libraries" failed to determine the activation status of the Java plugin correctly for IE.

I can not believe, that there is no way to detect the activation status of a Java plugin within IE correctly ...

2) Moreover, I analyzed that within Internet Explorer (IE) an applet starts (i.e., the init() & start-methods are invoked) even if the Java plugin is disabled / deactivated. In my opinion, this is not a desired application behavior. For example, using Firefox the applet does not start when the Java plugin is diabled.
    Can anybody explain this behavior or give me some more information?

I really appreciate your help!!!

Kind regards,
    tbeer