1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2009 4:19 AM by 791266 RSS

How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer

Hi All,
      I have recently started working on java,i need to a create a plugin which can launch any file type(say any file which draws a cube with some extension .abc).Where should i start my work from.What do i need to do first.Please help me out coz it is very important for my project work.
      Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,
      Deepti.
        • 1. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
          Hi,

You can read this page by clicking on this url addrs
          http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/applets/index.html

and do what u want. I have done this b4.

May be it is l helpful to you.

If u have any query let me know

Bye
          chinni
          • 2. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
            Hi chinni,
            I downloaded the html converter and converted all the files but the plugin hangs with an error message applet not initialized,what does that mean ??????does it have to do anything with the signed applet stuff,can you suggest me with something for that.
            By the way thanks a lot for the website which you posted in the previous mail it was very helpful.

Thank you,
            Deepti.

Hi,

You can read this page by clicking on this url addrs
            http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/applets/i
            dex.html

and do what u want. I have done this b4.

May be it is l helpful to you.

If u have any query let me know

Bye
            chinni
            • 3. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
              Hi
              I tried to create a plugin using the html converter its working fine for all applets but is not working when the applet is reading a file, the plugin is not loading the applet on the browser.It gives an error message saying that "applet not initialized" what does that mean??????.please let me know if anybody has got any idea on this.

Thank you,
              Deepti.
              • 4. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                is not working when the applet is reading a file
                On whose machine? The client's or your server?

If you applet uses a plugin, take a look at the Java console and see what the error message is. There could be a lot of different reasons why an applet doesn't initialize but it's hard to tell you what to do without knowing what the error is. If you're running Windows, in the systray you'll find a small duke icon, right click to open the console.

V.V.
                • 5. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                  Forgot to mention that if you don't see the duke icon, chances are your IE is not set to display the console. In that case, click:

Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced-->Microsoft VM-->Java Console Enable (require restart)

V.V.

• 6. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                    hi
                    I activated the java console as u said the applet is reading the file from the local disk,i'm working on windows.The console displays the following errors.Do i have to sign the applet even for reading the local system files.please lemme know.

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThreadGroup)

at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:272)

at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)

at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)

at sun.applet.AppletSecurity.checkAccess(AppletSecurity.java:139)

at java.lang.ThreadGroup.checkAccess(ThreadGroup.java:279)

at java.lang.ThreadGroup.getParent(ThreadGroup.java:140)

at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl$23.run(MasterControl.java:3077)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl.<clinit>(MasterControl.java:3070)

at javax.media.j3d.VirtualUniverse.<clinit>(VirtualUniverse.java:206)

at Vrml4.init(Vrml4.java:110)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:344)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

• 7. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                      You haven't really answered my question about the file reading part..... So I am going to assume that

1) the applet is coming from your server somewhere on the web,
                      2) the user accesses an applet inside of your HTML document via his/her IE browser, and
                      3) the applet tries to read data from the client machine to do whatever.

If this is the case, then you definitely need to sign the applet. I have a self-signed file I/O applet demo that you can take a look at (you'll find more info on how to sign the applet by clicking the first few links on the page):

http://home.attbi.com/~aokabc/FileIO/FileIOdemo.htm

My demo applet doesn't require a plugin and therefore the signing part is somewhat different (you can get more info by checking the tutorial on Security) but at least it gives you an idea of the complexity involved in signing an applet.

------------------

If this is not the case, then you can probably do without signing the applet. But you will need to modify the POLICY file on the machine to grant your applet the permissions to modifyThread and modifyThreadGroup -- this is base on the first line of the error message that you've posted:

... java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThreadGroup

V.V.
                      • 8. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                        Hi Viravan,
                        I signed my applet as u said but for some reason the browser is not recognising the cert.The applet is reading a wrl file from my local C drive.I'm creating a plugin to show this applet in the browser window.this is all i have to do.i guess u will have an idea by looking at this program of mine.
                        Curves.wrl is the file which i'm reading from the Cdrive.
                        i even changed my policy file but in vain.

JAVA CODE
                        import java.awt.BorderLayout;
                        import com.sun.j3d.utils.applet.MainFrame;
                        import com.sun.j3d.utils.universe.*;
                        import javax.media.j3d.*;
                        import javax.vecmath.*;
                        import javax.vecmath.Point3d;
                        import com.sun.j3d.loaders.Scene;
                        import java.awt.GraphicsConfiguration;
                        import java.io.*;
                        import com.sun.j3d.loaders.vrml97.VrmlLoader;
                        import com.sun.j3d.loaders.Scene;
                        import com.sun.j3d.utils.behaviors.mouse.*;
                        import com.sun.j3d.utils.geometry.ColorCube;
                        import java.lang.*;
                        import java.applet.*;
                        import java.net.URL;

public class Vrml2 extends Applet {

private SimpleUniverse u=null;

public BranchGroup createSceneGraph() {
                             BranchGroup objRoot = new BranchGroup();
                             //TransformGroup objScale = new TransformGroup();
                             //Transform3D t3d = new Transform3D();
                             //t3d.setScale(0.3);
                             //objScale.setTransform(t3d);
                             //objRoot.addChild(objScale);

BoundingSphere bounds = new BoundingSphere(new Point3d(0.0,0.0,0.0),      100.0);
                             Color3f bgColor = new Color3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);
                             Background bg = new Background(bgColor);
                             bg.setApplicationBounds(bounds);
                             objRoot.addChild(bg);

Color3f light1Color = new Color3f(1.0f, 1.0f, 0.9f);
                             Vector3f light1Direction = new Vector3f(4.0f, -7.0f, -12.0f);

DirectionalLight light1 = new DirectionalLight(light1Color,      light1Direction);
                             light1.setInfluencingBounds(bounds);
                             objRoot.addChild(light1);

TransformGroup objTrans = new TransformGroup();

objTrans.setCapability(TransformGroup.ALLOW_TRANSFORM_WRITE);
                             objTrans.setCapability(TransformGroup.ALLOW_TRANSFORM_READ);
                             objTrans.setCapability(ColoringAttributes.ALLOW_COLOR_READ);     objTrans.setCapability(ColoringAttributes.ALLOW_COLOR_WRITE);     objTrans.setCapability(Material.ALLOW_COMPONENT_READ);     
                             objTrans.setCapability(Material.ALLOW_COMPONENT_WRITE);
                             objTrans.setCapability(TransformGroup.ENABLE_PICK_REPORTING);

//objScale.addChild(objTrans);
                             objRoot.addChild(objTrans);

VrmlLoader loader = new VrmlLoader();
                             Scene s = null;
                             try {

s = loader.load("c:/documents and      settings/dk27/morph/curves.wrl");
                             }
                             catch (SecurityException e) {
                                  System.out.println(" caught security exception by deepti");
                                  System.out.println(e);
                        }
                             catch (Exception e) {
                                  System.out.println("Exception caught");
                                  System.err.println(e);
                                  System.exit(1);

}

//objTrans.addChild(new ColorCube(0.2));
                             objTrans.addChild(s.getSceneGroup());

Transform3D yAxis = new Transform3D();
                             Transform3D tr3d=new Transform3D();
                             tr3d.lookAt(new Point3d(13.00,-2.5,11.83),new Point3d      (20.0,0.0,50.0),new Vector3d(0.0,1.0,0.0));
                             tr3d.invert();          

//to rotate the cone left button
                             MouseRotate behavior = new MouseRotate();
                             behavior.setTransformGroup(objTrans);
                             objTrans.addChild(behavior);
                             behavior.setSchedulingBounds(bounds);

//to zoom the cone middle button
                             MouseZoom behavior1=new MouseZoom();
                             behavior1.setTransformGroup(objTrans);
                             objTrans.addChild(behavior1);
                             behavior1.setSchedulingBounds(bounds);

//to translate the cone right button
                             MouseTranslate behavior2=new MouseTranslate();
                             behavior2.setTransformGroup(objTrans);
                             objTrans.addChild(behavior2);
                             behavior2.setSchedulingBounds(bounds);

objRoot.compile();
                             return objRoot;

}

public Vrml2() {

}

public void init(){
                             setLayout(new BorderLayout());
                             GraphicsConfiguration config=SimpleUniverse.getPreferredConfiguration     ();
                             Canvas3D c = new Canvas3D(config);
                             add("Center", c);
                             BranchGroup scene = createSceneGraph();
                             SimpleUniverse u = new SimpleUniverse(c);
                             u.getViewingPlatform().setNominalViewingTransform();

u.addBranchGraph(scene);
                             }

public void destroy(){
                             u.removeAllLocales();
                             }

public static void main(String[] args) {
                             new MainFrame(new Vrml2(),600,800);
                             }
                             }

//

APPLET CODE:
                        <HTML>
                        <HEAD>
                        <TITLE>Morphing Applet</TITLE>
                        </HEAD>
                        <BODY>
                        <APPLET CODE = "Vrml2" CODEBASE = "." ARCHIVE = "Vrml2.jar" WIDTH = 202 HEIGHT = 177>
                        </APPLET>
                        </BODY>
                        </HTML>

the errors that it is displaying are
                        java.security.cert.CertificateException: Unable to verify the certificate with root CA

at sun.plugin.security.TrustDecider.isAllPermissionGranted(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.getPermissions(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.getProtectionDomain(SecureClassLoader.java:162)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:111)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:248)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:128)

at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:297)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:108)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:253)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:373)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:579)

at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:515)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:293)

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThreadGroup)

at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:272)

at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)

at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)

at sun.applet.AppletSecurity.checkAccess(AppletSecurity.java:139)

at java.lang.ThreadGroup.checkAccess(ThreadGroup.java:279)

at java.lang.ThreadGroup.getParent(ThreadGroup.java:140)

at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl$23.run(MasterControl.java:3077)

at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl.<clinit>(MasterControl.java:3070)

at javax.media.j3d.VirtualUniverse.<clinit>(VirtualUniverse.java:206)

at Vrml4.init(Vrml4.java:110)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:344)

Exception:java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\JDK13~1.1\lib\flavormap.properties (The system cannot find the file specified) while loading default flavormap.properties file URL:file:D:\JDK13~1.1\lib\flavormap.properties

• 9. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                          1) Are you signing the applet with a self-signed certificate or a commercial certificate from places like Verisign?

2) Can you cut-n-paste the jar signing console output (basically I just want to make sure that you have done it correctly where the last line should say the jar file has been successfully signed).

3) When you run your applet thru IE, the first thing that IE should do is to display a warning message, did you get that?

4) If you didn't, make sure that you check the setting in IE as follows:

Tools-->Internet Options-->Security-->Internet-->Custom Level...

and make sure the signed stuff is either enabled or set to prompt (note that IE treats an applet the same way it treats ActiveX controls).

5) Since your applet requires a plug-in, you may have to put your HTML file thru the HTMLConverter for it to work correctly with IE.

These are just a handful of things that you need to check out...

V.V.
                          • 10. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                            1.It is a self signed certficate
                            2.yeah i got the warning window saying that cannot verify the certificate.
                            3.this is the output from the jarsigner

132 Thu Feb 28 15:19:46 EST 2002 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
                            185 Thu Feb 28 15:19:52 EST 2002 META-INF/DEEPTI.SF
                            1089 Thu Feb 28 15:19:52 EST 2002 META-INF/DEEPTI.DSA
                            0 Wed Feb 27 18:07:44 EST 2002 META-INF/
                            smk 3713 Wed Feb 27 18:07:28 EST 2002 Vrml4.class

s = signature was verified
                            m = entry is listed in manifest
                            k = at least one certificate was found in keystore
                            i = at least one certificate was found in identity scope

jar verified.

4.I converted my applet using html converter.

Using the appletviewer the applet is able to read the file without signing the applet, but when i try using plugin to display the same in the browser the problem starts.AS the applet is reading the file without signing do i need to sign it so that it will be seen in the browser window.anyways i self signed my applet but it is not opening in IE5.5 even after using html converter.I'm storing my certificate also in the same folder as the java code, do i have to store it anywhere else.is that the problem??????
                            • 11. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                              I don't remember if I told you this...but using signed applet could be a pain in the you know where.

Here is what Microsoft has to say in their FAQ site:

Can I sign a Java class file for use with Internet Explorer?
                              Although it is possible to digitally sign a Java class file and verify the signature using the trust check utility, Internet Explorer does not recognize the class as signed and does not present a certificate to the user at runtime. Furthermore, the class is not considered trusted by the Microsoft VM for Java. Presently, you need to place the classes within a .cab file, which can then be signed.

Here is the link to the FAQ:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/default.asp?url=/TechNet/archive/ie/reskit/ie4/appendixes/appendh.asp

You'll have to use their cabarc command to sign the applet for IE to recognize it.

V.V.

• 12. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                                By the way, I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but.... To test the applet, you must put the HTML file and the applet on a network. If you are testing it on the same machine in a LAN, you have to copy the files over to the server's directory and run the HTML with a URL like http://localhost/test.htm and you also have to make sure that your IE browser has the correct Intranet security settings.

;o)

V.V.
                                • 13. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                                  hi
                                  I converted it into a cab file but it is giving me some wierd errors this is really bugging.

wglCreateContext Failed: The handle is invalid.

wglMakeCurrent Failed: The handle is invalid.

extensionStr == null

extensionStr == null

extensionStr == null
                                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                                  at Vrml6.destroy(Vrml6.java:120)
                                  at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:384)
                                  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at PC=0x6D364536
                                  Function=JVM_DisableCompiler+0xEE84
                                  Library=d:\j2sdk\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

Current Java thread:
                                  at javax.media.j3d.DrawingSurfaceObjectAWT.lockAWT(Native Method)
                                  at javax.media.j3d.DrawingSurfaceObjectAWT.contextLock(DrawingSurfaceO
                                  ectAWT.java:46)
                                  at javax.media.j3d.Renderer.doWork(Renderer.java:459)
                                  at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run(J3dThread.java:256)

Dynamic libraries:
                                  0x00400000 - 0x00406000 d:\j2sdk\bin\appletviewer.exe
                                  0x77F80000 - 0x77FFB000 C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
                                  0x77DB0000 - 0x77E0C000 C:\WINNT\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
                                  0x77E80000 - 0x77F35000 C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
                                  0x77D40000 - 0x77DB0000 C:\WINNT\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
                                  0x78000000 - 0x78046000 C:\WINNT\system32\MSVCRT.dll
                                  0x6D330000 - 0x6D442000 d:\j2sdk\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll
                                  0x77E10000 - 0x77E74000 C:\WINNT\system32\USER32.dll
                                  0x77F40000 - 0x77F7C000 C:\WINNT\system32\GDI32.DLL
                                  0x77570000 - 0x775A0000 C:\WINNT\System32\WINMM.dll
                                  0x75E60000 - 0x75E7A000 C:\WINNT\System32\IMM32.DLL
                                  0x6D1D0000 - 0x6D1D7000 d:\j2sdk\jre\bin\hpi.dll
                                  0x6D300000 - 0x6D30D000 d:\j2sdk\jre\bin\verify.dll
                                  0x6D210000 - 0x6D228000 d:\j2sdk\jre\bin\java.dll
                                  0x6D320000 - 0x6D32D000 d:\j2sdk\jre\bin\zip.dll
                                  0x6D000000 - 0x6D0F6000 D:\j2sdk\jre\bin\awt.dll
                                  0x77800000 - 0x7781D000 C:\WINNT\System32\WINSPOOL.DRV
                                  0x77A50000 - 0x77B46000 C:\WINNT\system32\ole32.dll
                                  0x6D180000 - 0x6D1D0000 D:\j2sdk\jre\bin\fontmanager.dll
                                  0x51000000 - 0x51044000 C:\WINNT\System32\DDRAW.dll
                                  0x728A0000 - 0x728A6000 C:\WINNT\System32\DCIMAN32.dll
                                  0x10000000 - 0x10170000 C:\WINNT\System32\i81xgicd.dll
                                  0x0EF70000 - 0x0EFCD000 C:\WINNT\System32\i81xGDEV.DLL
                                  0x6D2D0000 - 0x6D2DD000 D:\j2sdk\jre\bin\net.dll
                                  0x75050000 - 0x75058000 C:\WINNT\System32\WSOCK32.dll
                                  0x75030000 - 0x75043000 C:\WINNT\System32\WS2_32.DLL
                                  0x75020000 - 0x75028000 C:\WINNT\System32\WS2HELP.DLL
                                  0x785C0000 - 0x785CC000 C:\WINNT\System32\rnr20.dll
                                  0x77980000 - 0x779A4000 C:\WINNT\System32\DNSAPI.DLL
                                  0x77340000 - 0x77353000 C:\WINNT\System32\iphlpapi.dll
                                  0x77520000 - 0x77525000 C:\WINNT\System32\ICMP.DLL
                                  0x77320000 - 0x77337000 C:\WINNT\System32\MPRAPI.DLL
                                  0x75150000 - 0x75160000 C:\WINNT\System32\SAMLIB.DLL
                                  0x75170000 - 0x751BF000 C:\WINNT\System32\NETAPI32.DLL
                                  0x77BE0000 - 0x77BEF000 C:\WINNT\System32\SECUR32.DLL
                                  0x751C0000 - 0x751C6000 C:\WINNT\System32\NETRAP.DLL
                                  0x77950000 - 0x7797A000 C:\WINNT\system32\WLDAP32.DLL
                                  0x779B0000 - 0x77A4B000 C:\WINNT\system32\OLEAUT32.DLL
                                  0x773B0000 - 0x773DE000 C:\WINNT\System32\ACTIVEDS.DLL
                                  0x77380000 - 0x773A2000 C:\WINNT\System32\ADSLDPC.DLL
                                  0x77830000 - 0x7783E000 C:\WINNT\System32\RTUTILS.DLL
                                  0x77880000 - 0x7790D000 C:\WINNT\System32\SETUPAPI.DLL
                                  0x77C10000 - 0x77C6E000 C:\WINNT\System32\USERENV.DLL
                                  0x774E0000 - 0x77512000 C:\WINNT\System32\RASAPI32.DLL
                                  0x774C0000 - 0x774D1000 C:\WINNT\System32\RASMAN.DLL
                                  0x77530000 - 0x77552000 C:\WINNT\system32\TAPI32.DLL
                                  0x716F0000 - 0x7177A000 C:\WINNT\system32\COMCTL32.DLL
                                  0x70BD0000 - 0x70C1C000 C:\WINNT\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL
                                  0x77360000 - 0x77379000 C:\WINNT\System32\DHCPCSVC.DLL
                                  0x775A0000 - 0x77625000 C:\WINNT\System32\CLBCATQ.DLL
                                  0x777E0000 - 0x777E8000 C:\WINNT\System32\winrnr.dll
                                  0x777F0000 - 0x777F5000 C:\WINNT\System32\rasadhlp.dll
                                  0x146D0000 - 0x146E9000 D:\j2sdk\jre\bin\J3D.dll
                                  0x69510000 - 0x695D7000 C:\WINNT\System32\OPENGL32.dll
                                  0x6FAC0000 - 0x6FADF000 C:\WINNT\System32\GLU32.dll
                                  0x6D230000 - 0x6D235000 D:\j2sdk\jre\bin\jawt.dll
                                  0x77920000 - 0x77943000 C:\WINNT\system32\imagehlp.dll
                                  0x72A00000 - 0x72A2D000 C:\WINNT\system32\DBGHELP.dll
                                  0x690A0000 - 0x690AB000 C:\WINNT\System32\PSAPI.DLL

Local Time = Wed Mar 06 19:29:03 2002
                                  Elapsed Time = 20
                                  #
                                  # HotSpot Virtual Machine Error : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
                                  # Error ID : 4F530E43505002D3
                                  # Please report this error at
                                  # http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
                                  #
                                  # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.0-b92 mixed mode)
                                  #
                                  # An error report file has been saved as hs_err_pid1260.log.
                                  # Please refer to the file for further information.
                                  #

what is it all about,its been a while but i could not get it working.Please someone suggest me with something.

Deepti.
                                  • 14. Re: How to create a java plugin for Internet explorer
                                    For some odd reasons, using the java plugin 1.3.1.0_1 will give me the error "no ca certificate found" on signed jars and in 1.4.0 just nothing happends.

The only working version for my signed jars so far which work flawless is the version 1.3.1.0_2.
                                    1 2 3 4 Previous Next