1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2008 7:15 AM by 843802

The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll>

I have been trying to use the java plug-in on the new JDK 1.5 in conjunction with older installations (1.4.2 and so on).

The very first time that I installed JDK 1.5 the plug-in worked fine and there were no problems.

If I tried to go into control panel and change which plugin is available or not all hell breaks loose and I suspect the only way to fix this is to unistall everything and reinstall everything.

I tried the latest snapshot build of JDK 1.5 (build 57). I had to unistall JDK beta2 and then install the beta. That didn't work either
      This has been reported and dismissed by sun.
      http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5013503

However I can assure you that this is a genuine bug.

Please somebody back me up.
        • 1. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll>
          I'm having exactly the same problem. Did you even find a solution? I'm running Windows 2000 with JRE 1.5 beta 2 on an account that does not have admin priveledges if that matters.
          • 2. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll>
            I am having the exact same problem.
            Still no solution....
            • 3. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll>
              Hi,

I have managed to fix my machine now.

Firstly I found I had an old JRE installed inside Oracle so I removed that and checked the JAVA_HOME environment variable pointed to the new 1.5 installation. Not sure if this fixed it though - just house keeping I think.

What fixed it for me, I am 99% sure, was going to c:\Documents And Settings\MyUserName\Sun and then deleting the entire Java directory.

Good luck,

Andy
              • 4. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                Some old JRE/JVMs leave a jvm.dll in the Windows PATH. Look for jvm.dll files outside regular JRE/JVM installation directories and rename or delete them.
                -Alexis
                • 5. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                  deleting the C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Sun did it for me...
                  • 6. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                    I renamed the Sun folder, just in case, and it worked for me also. On the first loading of an applet a new Sun directory was created. Any ideas on why this works?
                    • 7. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                      I removed my C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Sun\Java directory and it worked, also.

Problem is that most novice users are not going to bother to read the stinking message much less do a search on it to find if anyone else had resolved the issue. They'll just say, "Java doesn't work", click the "Send Report" that Microsoft displays, watch their browser terminate and have a bad taste in their mouth. Is there any way to make someone who cares aware of this issue. It's clear that the install merely needs to remove the directory (screw the cache - make it work!) to avoid this.
                      • 8. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                        I share your concern, but I also think this happens to people who've been using Java for a while (some old JDK uninstaller left this file by error), so I don't think many beginners will face the problem.
                        If not, they can always reinstall Windows ;-)
                        -Alexis
                        • 9. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                          Hi,

I have managed to fix my machine now.

Firstly I found I had an old JRE installed inside
                          Oracle so I removed that and checked the JAVA_HOME
                          environment variable pointed to the new 1.5
                          installation. Not sure if this fixed it though - just
                          house keeping I think.

What fixed it for me, I am 99% sure, was going to
                          c:\Documents And Settings\MyUserName\Sun and then
                          deleting the entire Java directory.
                          I would like to confirm what has already been described above. I was running J2SE 1.4.2 and I installed J2SE 5.0. I noticed that the Java plugin stopped working. So I deleted the Java directory in c:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Sun and it fixed the problem.
                          The problem... I think... may have to do something with the fact that there was already a Plugin in place when another one was installed over it. The Java directory in the directory that was deleted had a deployment.properties file that I looked at before deleting it. This hints towards the problem

#deployment.properties
                          #Wed Oct 20 23:24:57 EDT 2004
                          deployment.javaws.splash.cache=C\:\\Documents and Settings\\oiinamul\\.javaws\\cache\\splashes\\splash.xml
                          javaplugin.jre.path=C\:\\j2sdk1.4.2
                          javaplugin.proxy.usebrowsersettings=true
                          javaplugin.jre.version=1.4.2
                          javaplugin.exception=true
                          deployment.javapi.lifecycle.exception=true
                          deployment.browser.vm.iexplorer=true
                          deployment.system.tray.icon=true
                          deployment.version=1.5.0
                          deployment.javaws.splash.index=C\:\\Documents and Settings\\oiinamul\\Application Data\\Sun\\Java\\Deployment\\cache\\javaws\\splash\\splash.xml
                          deployment.browser.path=C\:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE
                          deployment.javaws.cache.dir=C\:\\Documents and Settings\\oiinamul\\.javaws\\cache
                          javaplugin.jre.type=JDK
                          deployment.javaws.version=javaws-1.4.2_05
                          javaplugin.console=hide
                          deployment.browser.vm.mozilla=false
                          deployment.console.startup.mode=SHOW
                          #Java Web Start jre's
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.product=1.5.0
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.registered=true
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.osname=Windows
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.platform=1.5
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.path=C\:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0\\bin\\javaw.exe
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.location=http\://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.enabled=true
                          deployment.javaws.jre.0.osarch=x86
                          #Java Plugin jre's
                          deployment.javapi.jre.1.5.0.args=
                          deployment.javapi.jre.1.5.0.osname=Windows
                          deployment.javapi.jre.1.5.0.osarch=x86
                          deployment.javapi.jre.1.5.0.path=C\:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0

>
                          Good luck,

Andy
                          • 10. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll>
                            I will back you up. I am having the same or similar problem with 1.5.0. Thank you for the bugid link.

I get the alert error dialog "The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll> ", and IE crashes after I click OK. I have no c:\Documents And Settings\MyUserName\Sun directory to delete. JAVA_HOME is not set in my M$ environment ( I set it in my cygwin .bash_profile). When I go into the MSWindows registry, there are Plug-In and JRE entries for 1.4 and 1.4.0 with JavaHome pointing to C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0 (which should be valid?!). Now what do I try? Who do I bug? Help....

The process I go through to reproduce the crash is:
                            * uninstall 1.4.2_02 etc.
                            * leave Oracle JInitiator 1.3.x installed.
                            * install jdk 1.5.0

Hit a webpage with this entry:

<OBJECT
                            classid = "clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
                            codebase = "j2re-1_4_2_02-windows-i586-p.exe#Version=1,4,0,0"

<== end of useful data, beginning of whine** ==>

I have had endless troubles involving mixed plug-ins and web-start. Why can't sun provide a single plug-in control panel that support 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 at the same time and have them play well together???
                            • 11. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                              I have commented on the bug report too and I encourage everyone with this problem to do so. Perhaps there are mechanisms in place whereby someone will take notice. Also, if you know of any other way of getting Sun's attention try that

I also fixed this problem by deleting the Sun folder but it only fixed things for IE not my main browser Mozilla Firefox. The problem appears to be a result of the new installer not updating the configurations correctly (and/or old uninstallers not cleaning up properly).

Sun need to move on this quickly before dismiss Java as too problematic! I think the problem is in the installers/uninstallers rather than the JRE itself.

Mark
                              • 12. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll>
                                sheepish The problem did go away after I deleted "C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Sun".

It still bugged me that I can't seem to run both a 1.4 and 1.5 jvm at the same time. The 1.5 release seems to reengineer the plug-in controls again.

Also, what will happen if I upgrade my user base from 1.4 to 1.5? It is still a bug that sun should address.

David.
                                • 13. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                                  I did get it working in Firefox in the end by uninstalling Firefox 1.0PR and installing the new Firefox 1.0 although this may have been due to the fact that when I uninstalled the old version of Firefox I deleted the Firefox installation directory (but not my profile directory). This directory may have contained some wrong configuration information about Java although I did previously run a search on files within this directory and couldn't find anything related to Java.

I noticed that before doing this upgrade to Firefox my deployment.properties file in the Sun settings folder did refer to Firefox via "deployment.browser.path=C\:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE" so maybe the fault in Firefox's case lies with Mozilla? I don't know.

Anyway, I am happy it works but either Mozilla or Sun (or both) need to ensure that they can work together on this (and Sun definately need to clean up the upgrade process - Java has been around a lot longer that Mozilla Firefox).

Short answer to your problems: Uninstall and delete programs, directories, registry entries (if you know what you are doing!) relating to Firefox and Sun and reinstall both again (browser first).

Hopefully someone from Sun reads this and fixes things or points people to the right solution.
                                  • 14. Re: The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from <\bin\server\jvm.dll
                                    I am having this same exact problem. But since I am using applets I need to change the runtime parameter in Java Applet Runtime Settings to allow for a larger heap size (�Xmx1024).

So when I delete the sun/java folder that also deletes my runtime parameter!!!

So I am stuck in the spot of having a working applet with no runtime parameter, but if I change the parameter I get the wonderful java runtime enviroment cannont be loaded error!!

Frustrating!!!
                                    1 2 Previous Next