1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 15, 2010 6:58 PM by 843804 RSS

Java 6u20 Installation Issues

I'm having a bunch of issues with deploying Java 1.6.0_20 via SMS. I've tried all sorts of different ways, but still...nothing is 100%. I'm at a 60% successful rate.

Here are the different methods that I'm doing.

MsiExec.exe /i jre.1.6.0_20.msi /qn /l*v c:\j6u20.log
      jre-6u20-windows-i586.exe /s IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0

Mixed results with both. What is happening, the command kicks off successfully, and in the process of installing, it seems to fail out. If i go to C:\Program Files\Java\jre6

Majority of the files are gone. The only files there are:

core.zip (33.7mb)
      patchjre.exe (0b)
      zipper.exe (64kb)

Seems during the extraction or installation, everything just stops. It reports to the Application event log as successful. SMS reports successful installation. Even shows up in the registry. I'm applying this throughout an enterprise (1500+ machines), so this is causing crazy issues with the helpdesk. It's hard for me to pinpoint where the issue is since on many assets, it is successful, and on others, nothing.

The files I have within my SMS share are:

jre.1.6.0_20.msi (568kb)
      Data1.cab (12693kb)
      sp1033.MST (4877kb)

Share has permissions for anyone.

• 1. Re: Java 6u20 Installation Issues

Seems that before the Java 6 Update 20 (which I heard that started in u16), it removes all the files during the upgrade, then proceeds with the install.

Anyway around this? I have issues when I do mass deployments...and if a machine has J6u20 already installed, it will first remove the files, then just report back a successful install.