This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2009 2:02 PM by 843804 RSS

What's the best way to ID machines that need Jave SE 6 Update 14?

843804 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I've just read the update release notes ( http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u14.html ) for the Java SE 6 Update 14 and I want to deploy it to our systems. I've never been real good at knowing just how to identify what version of Java a machine had. Because we're all Windows here, we usually look for products that are registered in Add / Remove Programs and that does the job for us. However, I'm not sure what the versioning should be for this update. Does anyone have the answer to this?
  • 1. Re: What's the best way to ID machines that need Jave SE 6 Update 14?
    796365 Newbie
    Not sure I understand the question.

The Add / Remove Programs entry give the family/update for a Java install - ie, it shows Java 6 Update 14.

You can also tell what the "default" version is by typing "java -version" in a cmd window.
  • 2. Re: What's the best way to ID machines that need Jave SE 6 Update 14?
    843804 Newbie
    Yes, that looks like the best way to identify the verison. I just get confused about the various versions and how they may or may not be related. For example, in the release notes, they talk about the 6u14 baseline and they mention other related version numbers

Security Baseline
    6u14 specifies the following security baselines for use with Java Plug-in technology: JRE Family Version Java SE
    Security Baseline Java SE for Business
    Security Baseline
    5.0 1.5.0_18 1.5.0_18
    1.4.2 1.4.2_19 1.4.2_20

I guess my question should have been worded, what "numbers" should I be searching for in Add/Remove Programs? 6.0, 5.0, 1.5.x or 1.4x?
  • 3. Re: What's the best way to ID machines that need Jave SE 6 Update 14?
    843804 Newbie
    Sun Microsystems has released Update 14 for version 6 of Java Standard Edition (Java SE). In addition to hundreds of bug fixes, the new Java 6 update now includes Java DB 10.4.2.1. The database is based on Apache Derby 10.4.2.0, but contains several additional bug fixes. Also new is a major revision of the Java VM tool for monitoring and profiling Java applications. The most interesting change with regard to HotSpot is the addition of the G1 Garbage Collector. Updated implementations of the JAX-WS standard (Java API for XML Web Service) and JAXB (Java Architecture for XML Binding) are included too