This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2009 10:31 PM by 843804 RSS

Error occurred during initialization of VM

843804 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed J2SDK 1.4.2.0 in a sun solaris 5.8 machine. When I try to execute java, Im getting the following error..

bash-2.03$ java
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Please help
  • 1. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie

I've have had the same failure message today.

My environment differs, I have Debian Sarge Linux, and I tried with JDK 1.5.0_01,downloaded as *.rpm file, and converted into *.deb using alien.
    (The error appears like some environment variable like JAVA_HOME is wrong but I did not succeed in figuring out how to set it right.)

The solution was to download again: The simple self-extracting binary (instead of the rpm version).
    Now it works.

I've found the Solution in:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/26/2003/10/4/108638
    Greetings,
    Ratsberg
  • 2. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    I had this error too under Websphere. The solution was to point to the correct rt.jar file.
    Since I did an upgrade of my j2sdk my java projects were trying to complie with another rt.jar version... also I had an major:minor version error but this fixs too.
  • 3. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    Hii,
    I have installed J2SDK 1.5.0_05 in my IBM laptop. When I try to execute java, Im getting the following error..

java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Please help
  • 4. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    help me what is the solution." Error occurred during initialization of VM"
    Thankyou.
  • 5. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    This issue is usally caused by missing rt.jar. It's a good idea to manually unpack libraries.
    Look for your java library directory (usually jre<version>/lib) .
    If you can see rt.pack and can't see rt.ajr -
    make the follwoing (I consider you save this to a script file then run it and your JAVA_HOME is correctly set and you're using some sort of UNIX):

---------------------------------cut---------------------------------
    #!/bin/sh
    JH=${JAVA_HOME:-"/usr/java/jre1.5.0_04"}
    UNPACK_EXE=$JH/bin/unpack200
    if [ -f $UNPACK_EXE ]; then
    chmod +x $UNPACK_EXE

PACKED_JARS="lib/rt.jar lib/jsse.jar lib/charsets.jar lib/ext/localedata.jar lib/plugin.jar lib/javaws.jar lib/deploy.jar"
    for i in $PACKED_JARS; do
    srcFile=${JH}/`dirname $i`/`basename $i .jar`.pack
    dstFile=${JH}/$i
    if [ ! -f  $srcFile ]; then
    printf "Error: Unable to find %s. Please, check out your installation.\n" $srcFile
    exit 1
    fi
    $UNPACK_EXE $srcFile $dstFile
    if [ ! -f  $dstFile ]; then
    printf "Error: unpack could not create %s. Please refer to the Troubleshooting\n" $dstFile
    printf "Section of the Installation Instructions on the download page.\n"
    exit 1
    fi

rm -f $srcFile
    done

else
    printf "Error: unpack command could not be found. Please refer to the \n"
    printf "TroubleShooting Section of the Installation Instructions on \n"
    printf "the download page.\n"
    printf "Please do not attempt to install this archive file.\n"
    exit 2
    fi
    ---------------------------------cut---------------------------------
  • 6. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    A simpler way if you use alien to convert the rpm package and install, is to make sure you use the --scripts option to allow the conversion of the scripts that take care of the jar files. The scripts won't run unless they have been converted.

sudo alien --scripts -i javaInstallation.rpm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 7. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    A cute (bizarre) little fact that can well cause such is that if something in your PATH Environment Variable is sufficiently weird..
    (I dunno what that means exactly)

..then it may never get to its tail end.

If you suspect this, put/move the part that gets the system to java at/near the beginning.

(just worked for me - again)

-- M.
  • 8. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    Here is an observation - running Windows XP recently I was asked if I wanted to update to Java 6-12, and I hit OK and went about my business while it installed. Afterwards tried a few java apps, and I got this exact scenario. Not that it makes sense, but after pottering around a long time with reinstalling Java, I finally clean uninstalled the JDK stuff which was on my start menu, and after that everything worked. I installed the latest JDK 5-13, problem solved.
  • 9. Re: Error occurred during initialization of VM
    843804 Newbie
    just working, I re-installed the system.