This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2009 3:04 PM by 843804 RSS

How to distribute a file

843804 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi all ! Im planing to make a project of mine commercial some day. The thing is that I want to be able to provide it without to many installations, so the end-user who dosent really have to much knowledge about computer can do it with ease. So lets say I have a web project, that needs tomcat and PHP or whatever, plus the custom files,etc. How can I combine all that into a single installation so the end user dosent have to suffer?

Thanks a lot !

Juan Ma
  • 1. Re: How to distribute a file
    843804 Newbie
    juanmanuelsanchez wrote:
    hi all ! Im planing to make a project of mine commercial some day. The thing is that I want to be able to provide it without to many installations, so the end-user who dosent really have to much knowledge about computer can do it with ease. So lets say I have a web project, that needs tomcat and PHP or whatever,
    if your user isn't savvy enough to be able to install tomcat, I doubt they will be able to do things like router port-forwarding and setting up dynamic dns. Moreover, what if the client wants to use a different Java app server (JBoss or whatever)
  • 2. Re: How to distribute a file
    843804 Newbie
    yeah...if it is someone with computer knowledge I dont have to worry about. BUT there is people that dosent really know what they are doing. Thats why any windows installer is so good. And if I want to make this commercial I have to be prepared for both cases.
  • 3. Re: How to distribute a file
    843804 Newbie
    anyone?
  • 4. Re: How to distribute a file
    843804 Newbie
    I created a custom, Java-based, JAR application that used SWING to perform a complicated Client, and Server install. My installer ended up falling into a category know as a "suite installer." Meaning, it was 5 installers in one application.

To pull this off, I used Java to get myself onto the Solaris and Linux platforms, and then on the Windows platform, I used a VERY NICE open source tool called AutoIt.

AutoIt is not for the Unix world, but is a Windows-specific scripting language that is (and here's the best part) free!

Check out www.autoitscript.com for more info.

For the Solaris and Linux side of things, I went pure Java and Perl. I didn't use Perl on Windows because AutoIt gave me such amazing control over the Windows gui - it was great!

Hope that helps.