2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2008 3:45 PM by 843804 RSS

Upgrade default java version in Solaris 8?

I have Solaris 5.8 running on sun blade system. Default Java version is 1.2.2 and user need it to upgraded to latest version of Java so, I installed jre1.6.0 (combination of 32-bit install and 64 bit install). Now I can't point solaris to look at the newly installed java version. I have tried to change the path variable in .cshrc but it is readonly to root and group is deamon. I also tried changing the symbolic link from /usr/java to /usr/jre1.6.0 but it is still looking at default version of java1.2.2.
      I need help as I don't know much about Solaris to upgrade this java. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      solaris_newbee
        • 1. Re: Upgrade default java version in Solaris 8?
          So no one knows how to do upgrade java in solaris 8 or how to point OS to look at the newly installed java version? Well thats comforting as I don't feel alone. If anyone by chance come across this posting and know how to do this then please help me.
          Thanks,
          solaris_newbee
          • 2. Re: Upgrade default java version in Solaris 8?
            After installing, you need to update the '/usr/java' sym link to point to your new root installation. For example, I installed jdk1_5_16 at /usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_16/ and then added this symlink:

ln -s /usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_16/ /usr/java

You may need to remove the symlink that is already there before it will allow you to successfully create the new one.

There are several other dependent symlinks in /usr/bin that use /usr/java, but you only have to update /usr/java.

From one noob to another.