2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2008 10:33 AM by 843804 RSS

Upgrading Java Applications from 32-Bit to 64-Bit Windows 2003 OS

Hi,

I have a question on upgrading the java applications from 32-Bit windows to 64-Bit windows.
      Can a 32-Bit application run on a 64-Bit Windows 2003 Operating System without applying any further updates?
      I have Websphere6 with JDK 1.42 running on 32-Bit windows 2003 OS and now I would like to upgrade the OS to 64-Bit without upgrading my websphere and JDK to 64-Bit.
      will this combination of 32-Bit Websphere 6 and JDK 1.42 work on 64-Bit Windows 2003.
      Awaiting your comments on this.

Thanks,
      Bhanu.
        • 1. Re: Upgrading Java Applications from 32-Bit to 64-Bit Windows 2003 OS
          Hi

32 bit applications should work on 64 bit HW and OS.
          But you will not get the full power of 64 bit HW
          • 2. Re: Upgrading Java Applications from 32-Bit to 64-Bit Windows 2003 OS
            Sorry for reopening this ticket, but I would open a new topic with the same name else.
            My problem (getting rather complex):

I have created an application under Windows XP 32 bit on the 32 bit SDK. I still have the source code. But I use the JDBC/ODBC bridge driver to get to my Access databases (.mdb files). The problem is that when Java RE runs in 64 bit, the 32 bit ODBC driver in Windows is not available (because it's not there and won't ever be probably...).
            I also can't use the System or User DSN as I need access to the database files without any clicking, I need to access multiple files that are inside a source directory, and the file count will vary frequently.

What should I do to get access to my Access databases? This is really frustrating. I'm running Windows XP x64 SP2, and Java RE 1.6_07. Also, running Windows XP 32 bit in a virtual machine is not preferred as I would have to continue working on my code.

Thanks!

SabbeRubbish