1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2008 11:20 AM by 843804 RSS

Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applications

After downloading the update this morning I am encountering errors on two Cisco device applications. Both were working this morning.

On a PIX PDM I get this when trying to start:
      java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.version read)
           at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
           at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
           at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
           at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Unknown Source)
           at java.lang.System.getProperty(Unknown Source)
           at com.cisco.pdm.e.c.q(Unknown Source)
           at com.cisco.pdm.e.c.h(Unknown Source)
           at com.cisco.pdm.a.byte(Unknown Source)
           at com.cisco.pdm.PDMApplet.start(Unknown Source)
           at com.cisco.nm.util.sgz.Env.start(Env.java:37)
           at com.cisco.nm.util.sgz.Loader.start(Loader.java:109)
           at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
           at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I can't seem to find any place to check that access error.

Also on a Cisco ACS server I am unable to access some screens with a Page not available error.

Any suggestions on what to check for would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applications
          I am having the same problem. I just installed Java to access the PIX PDM on Windows Server 2003. This is the message I am getting:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.version read)
               at com.cisco.pdm.StartupWizApplet.start(Unknown Source)
          • 2. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applications
            This thing is also getting on my nerves, PIX PDM is an important piece of software!!!

Make it work, quickly....... please
            ---------
            Java Plug-in 1.5.0_02
            Using JRE version 1.5.0_02 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
            ---------
            Requesting URL: https://pixfirewall.snownet.local/jploader.jar
                 at com.cisco.pdm.PDMApplet.start(Unknown Source)
            • 3. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applications
              have you gotten resolvution on this issue? I am having the same problem
              access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.version read)
              • 4. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                Well I had to remove jre-1_5_0_02-windows-i586-p.exe and move back to jre-1_5_0_01-windows-i586-p.exe to get the Cisco PDM 3.0(2) working again.
                • 5. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                  You might want to scan Sun's list of bugs fixed in the release:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html

There are some changes for certificates and keystore.

Also, you might also want to check for changes in any of the JAVA_HOME\jre\lib\security\* files.

It is hard to imagine that they would add a new call to checkPropertyAccess java.lang.System.getProperty at this phase.
                  • 6. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                    I don't see this issue submitted in the bug database (only a related issue pre-ver 5), but this is definitely a serious issue that deserves a fix. I don't think anyone managing a remote data center will find this acceptable. I don't really enjoy driving on site just to hook up a serial cable to configure our PIXes!
                    • 7. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                      Hello,

Here's a work around. It requires Microsoft Internet Explorer. This was tested with IE v 6.0.2900.2180:

From the IE Tools Pulldown choose "Internet Options" then the "Advanced" tab.

Find the section called "Java (Sun)" and un-check "Use JRE 1.5...."

Find the section called "Microsoft VM" and make sure "JIT compiler for virtual machine..." is checked.

Restart IE.

I think this causes IE to use the Microsoft Java VM instead of the Sun plugin.
                      The problem with this workaround is that it forces you to use Internet Explorer.

Someone please post a note when the bug is fixed.

Thanks.

--Tom                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                      • 8. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                        Hmm... that code looks obfuscated. No chance Cisco has a public version of this applet handy? I would love to help, but these are obstacles. Unless it can be shared in some way, I would say your best bet is to get in touch with Cisco.
                        • 9. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applications
                          Not just Cisco apps. Since upgrading to build 1.5.0_02-b09 I can't run the Home Base app to access my HP Openview Network Node Manger either. Also can't report the fault to HP on their Java-based form (causes Apache server error).

Both work fine from other PCs with 1.5.0 update 1 (build1.5.0_01-b08).

The Java console error that occurs with the Home Base app is this:

Exception in thread "Thread-6" java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file
                               at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
                               at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
                               at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
                               at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
                               at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
                               at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
                               at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                               at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
                               at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
                               at com.hp.ov.dynamicViews.gui.core.ViewInformation.loadClassByUrl(ViewInformation.java:327)
                               at com.hp.ov.dynamicViews.gui.core.ViewInformation.loadGuiExtensions(ViewInformation.java:252)
                               at com.hp.ov.dynamicViews.gui.core.DynamicView$3.run(DynamicView.java:1964)

Looks like it's a Sun Java problem to me...
                          • 10. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                            That is a different error. I think it should be in its own thread, an perhaps with a reference back to this one.
                            • 11. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                              I've taken the liberty to report this to Sun and have received confirmation of the bug. It should be available at this link within 24-48 hours:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6250137

Windows only:
                              BTW, the fix mentioned above doesn't work for all IE versions since the Microsoft VM was yanked (MS-SUN legal spat). But if you have it then you're probably good to go. If you don't, and if you've upgraded to 1.50 (not installing for the first time), you can remove the latest "Update" via Add/Remove Programs. This will enable the last version you had - in our case it was 1.04_06..and all is good.
                              • 12. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                                BTW, the above tip regarding removing the "Java 5.0 Update" was our workaround SPECIFICALLY to allow us to use Cisco PDM. We cannot vouch for any other application.
                                • 13. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                                  I encountered this same problem after bringing up a new machine with Windows 2003 and the JRE 1.5. Unfortunately downgrading to 1.4.2 JRE did not resolve the issue, nor can I try the above mentioned VM fix because it was removed from my version of IE.

Cisco's website hasn't yielded much help either. Please keep this thread alive with any new developments.
                                  • 14. Re: Upgraded to Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) now errors on 2 applicat
                                    Tyco_ChrisC:

I believe the downgraded version you have, 1.4.2 , is unfortunately the version where this bug popped up the first time. Reference:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do;:WuuT?bug_id=6194947

So, the bug somehow got resurrected in 1.5.0. We were able to downgrade to 1.4.06, which is doing fine with PDM - it's the only app we need Java for so I cannot vouch for any other Java app.

I've had discussions with Cisco on this, and they're pointing to Java. I have no reason to doubt them since the bug/issues concern 2 specific releases.
                                    1 2 Previous Next