1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 3, 2010 7:27 AM by 793415 RSS

how to make an installer

hello I' m new to java and I have some questions about the insallers.

Actually I'm looking for a guideline for creating installer.

I have a java Desktop Application (yes I'm using Netbeans).

My application uses mysql for data store.

So my question is.

I want to make an Installer for all these.

The installer should install the java Application, mysql and mysql connector for java. Something like all in one installer.

Also I want this installer to be platform independent. I'm not sure if this can be done, but it's ok for me creating 4 different installers (Windows,Mac,.deb and .rpm).

Could anyone give me any advice how to create this or links that could help me.

thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: how to make an installer
          panosx13 wrote:
          hello I' m new to java and I have some questions about the insallers.
          All the requirements can be satisfied using [Java Web Start|http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_webstart.xml] *(<- link).*
          Actually I'm looking for a guideline for creating installer.

I have a java Desktop Application..
          JWS is designed for installing (and updating) desk top apps.
          ..(yes I'm using Netbeans).
          How unfortunate. JWS uses a file of type JNLP to describe the application, the run-time environment it needs (including things like properties, minimum Java version, memory requirements..) as well as all the resources required for the application (classes and DLLs, splash screens & icons etc.) and the desk top integration is needs (menu items, desk top short cut).

OTOH, NetBeans has been seen to produce some of the most horribly malformed JNLP files I've ever had the misfortune to debug. That is why I 1st developed JaNeLA *(<- link)* - to validate the JNLP files and check other aspects of the launch.
          My application uses mysql for data store.
          That is where the ExtensionInstallerService comes in handy. Here is a [demo of the ExtensionInstallerService|http://pscode.org/jws/api.html#eis] *(<- link).*

The best place to put a DB is probably in a sub-directory of user.home, but if you want to leave the final path to the end user, that path can be stored in the PersistenceService. Here is a small [demo of the PersistenceService|http://pscode.org/jws/api.html#ps] *(<- link).*
          So my question is.
          Your question is what? Questions should end in a question mark (?) and I do not see one anywhere in your post.
          I want to make an Installer for all these.

The installer should install the java Application, mysql and mysql connector for java. Something like all in one installer.

Also I want this installer to be platform independent. I'm not sure if this can be done, but it's ok for me creating 4 different installers (Windows,Mac,.deb and .rpm).
          JWS works for any platform that Java does.
          Could anyone give me any advice how to create this or links that could help me.
          Oh, now that would be a question if you added a question mark. ;)
          thanks in advance.
          You're welcome in advance.