2 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2010 4:12 AM by 843804 RSS

JDK 6u20, why isn't Java DB always an option

I'm perplexed. I went to use derbyclient.jar and couldn't find it on a Windows 7 system. After a bit of testing, I've observed the following behavior.

On Windows XP: The installer shows the Java DB option to install, and derbyclient.jar is installed in ProgramFiles\Sun

On Windows 7 (64 bit): the installer does not show the Java DB option in either the 32 or 64 bit installer. derbyclient.jar is not installed anywhere on the system.

So, what am I missing here?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: JDK 6u20, why isn't Java DB always an option
          Hi,

I think that here you can find some answers to your question: JavaDB

Regards,

J[.|http://www.beingaplayer.com]Guru :)

Edited by: javaguruuk on May 19, 2010 1:20 AM
          • 2. Re: JDK 6u20, why isn't Java DB always an option
            While the article you mentioned does a nice job of introducing JDBC, the only thing it mentions about installation is:

Java DB, which is available with most Java Development Kit download bundles, Java EE download bundles, or as a separate download, is a robust relational database based on Apache Derby.

I'd like to know why the same JDK installation executable lets you install Java DB on XP, but doesn't give you the option on Windows 7. This isn't about a jar in a classpath, or how to use JDBC, it is about the lack of installation options provided by the same installation executable.