6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2007 8:04 PM by 843859

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path

Hii,
      I am trying to deploy a web application that uses ojdbc14.jar file(I put this in Tomcats web-app>web-inf>lib folder) for accessing database.
      My Env:
      Linux OS
      Tomcat 5.0.28
      Driver Classes: ojdbc14.jar
      however, I am unable to find these classes and the exception shown in tomcat logs is as under:
      java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path
           at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1682)
           at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
           at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1030)
           at oracle.jdbc.oci8.OCIDBAccess.logon(OCIDBAccess.java:262)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:346)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.java:468)
           at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:314)

Can someone help me on this?

I see that there should be some problem with the oracle library settings. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path
          Hii,
          I am trying to deploy a web application that uses
          ojdbc14.jar file(I put this in Tomcats
          web-app>web-inf>lib folder) for accessing database.
          Wrong. Put it in Tomcat's common/lib directory.
          My Env:
          Linux OS
          Tomcat 5.0.28
          Driver Classes: ojdbc14.jar
          however, I am unable to find these classes and the
          exception shown in tomcat logs is as under:
          java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in
          No, that's not what the exception says. Looks to me like your connection URL uses oci instead of thin driver.
          I see that there should be some problem with the
          oracle library settings. Am I right?
          Your connection URL is wrong. I believe the OCI driver requires the use of a .dll for Windows or .so for *nix, and that's what isn't available.  You should be using the 100% Java, type IV thin driver.  No libraries needed beyond the JAR file.  Consult the Oracle docs for the correct URL syntax.  Should look like this:
          String driver = "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver";
          String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:1521:sid";
          %
          • 2. Re: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path
            Hi,

Appreciate your thoughts.

But our project is forced to use thick drivers.

Can you tell me if having the dll alone will help me solve the issue?

I did try putting the jar file in common-lib under tomcat. But then, it doesnt work as you said coz of the missing dll file.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path
              You are trying to use Oracle 9 JDBC driver for Oracle 8 Client (OCI).
              OCI driver is very sensitive for the version.

If Oracle 9 client is already installed on your server,
              check your classpath and library path, your service possibly pointing to previous oracle 8 installation.

If Oracle 9 client is not installed on your server,
              use classes12.zip for Oracle 8 JDBC driver
              • 4. Re: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path
                Hi,

Appreciate your thoughts.

But our project is forced to use thick drivers.
                Why?

>
                Can you tell me if having the dll alone will help me solve the issue?
                I think you need the .dll AND to set java.library.path to point to it.

%
                • 5. Re: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path
                  To use OCI driver, I am assuming that you alreday have oracle client installed to your server.
                  at oracle.jdbc.oci8.OCIDBAccess.logon(OCIDBAccess.java:262)
                  This looks like oracle 8.
                  • 6. Re: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc9 in java.library.path
                    Hi,

First, you must have an Oracle client installed on your server. From the ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib copy the ojdbc14.jar into Tomcat's common/lib (as someone suggested). This ensures you have the right version which is important with the OCI client.

You will also have to set an environment variable usually LD_LIBRARY_PATH (some *nixs are different here), and add the ORACLE_HOME/bin to that path.

If still no luck, check your path, and classpath.

If you're really desperate you can write a little utility to dump the contents of the java.library.path. But you shouldn't have to go that far.