This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2010 12:53 AM by 802287 RSS

Tns Could not resolve the identifier specified

802287 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
After searching the net and ending up at Re: windows 2000 and oracle driver I still have the problem of "Tns could not resolve the identifier specified".

Situation:

I have an ASP.net webservice running on IIS on two windows 2003 servers (loadbalancing) using the system.data.oracleclient dll to connect to an Oracle 10g database (again loadbalancing using 2 databaseservers) with the following connectionstring:

Password=xxx;User ID=xxx;Data SourceCLSPRDSRV;Persist Security Info=True

tnsping and sqlplus works fine (from the 2 webservers). The webservice itself works fine as well but not always. Sometimes the users get the "tns could not resolve the identifier specified" error, but not always and after trying a second time the webservice gives no error and does its job fine.

What I found about the error is that it is a fault in the tnsnames.ora or in the connectionstring, but then I expect that it should not work at all...

Does anyone has an idea of what could be wrong?

PS: the situation and configuration is 100% the same on all the machines in the loadbalancing (webservers, databaseservers, etc...) and the error appears on both the webservers so not just for only one machine...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points