4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2005 10:25 AM by 843804

How to react on events fired by a JFileChooser?

Hello again.

I hava a FileChooser in my application to load an XML-file and then show its contents in a tab of a JTabbedPane.
      When the user chooses a file and then clicks on the open-button of the dialog, I want to check if the file exists. In case of a non-existing file I want to show a modal MessageDialog with a corresponding message. During this time the file dialog must not close and stay open until the user cancels the operation or chooses an existing file.

What do I have to do to achieve this? I think I have to add an actionlistener and override the actionPerformed-method of the open-button. But how? Can you perhaps give me a little code example?
        • 1. Re: How to react on events fired by a JFileChooser?
          ok. doesn't the file chooser method you call to get it to show return some value that tells you, when it's closed, that a file was choosen or not? And doesn't it then let you get the File object for the selected file/directory? I believe that the answer to both is yes.
          • 2. Re: How to react on events fired by a JFileChooser?
            Hi.

I know all what you say. But that's not the problem. When I ask for the return value and check if the file exists, the filechooser has already closed. So if the file does not exist the user has to open a new filechooser-instance.

How can I avoid this by e. g. reacting directly on the open-button-actionperformed event of the filechooser?

Becca
            • 3. Re: How to react on events fired by a JFileChooser?
              kloeber
              i'm not quite sure why you need to check the existence of a file which the file chooser showed you...
              but anyway, here is what i do to the check the existence of a file if a user wants to do a save:
                  fileChooser = new JFileChooser() {
                    public void approveSelection() {
                      File f = getSelectedFile();
                      String fileName = f.toString();
                      String ext = "." + ((ExtensionFileFilter)getFileFilter()).getFirstExtension();
                      if (!fileName.endsWith(ext)) {
                          fileName += ext;
                      }
                      if (!new File(fileName).exists() ||
                          (JOptionPane.showConfirmDialog(this, "<html><center><b>File " + fileName + " exists!<br>Do you want to overwrite it?</b></html>", "Confirm", JOptionPane.YES_NO_OPTION) == JOptionPane.OK_OPTION)) {
                        super.approveSelection();
                      }
                    }
                  };
              maybe it helps.

thomas
              • 4. Re: How to react on events fired by a JFileChooser?
                Hi.

That's exactly what I wanted to know.
                So I just have to override the approveSelection() method.

I need to do this because the user has also the possibility to type a filename into the textfield. That's what I have to check.

Thank you very much!