7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 5:25 PM by New Rodeo RSS

Report 6i and Blob

BP
      Currently, I have a word document (BLOB) stored in a table.

The goal is to fetch the BLOB and display the content of the word doc in the report.

I've tried to add a report field which maps to the db column as Binary LOB with File Format property = 'text'. (I've also tried File Format property = OLE and few others. none of them works)

All I am getting is bunch of scrambled character.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Report 6i and Blob
          InoL
          You can display a Word blob as an OLE2 file format in Reports. However, this only works if you have uploaded the document via a Forms OLE field. The reason behind this is that Forms put some extra information in the blob that Reports recognizes.
          Also, you can only display one page at a time. So, if you have a long Word document, you have to split it in separate pages.
          • 2. Re: Report 6i and Blob
            BP
            Hi InoL,

I uploaded the word.doc via TOAD, I will try to upload the doc via From OLE.

Also, can you please explain a bit more on how to "split it in separate pages"?
            or
            is there any reference I can do more research on that issue?

Thanks for the quick reply.
            • 3. Re: Report 6i and Blob
              InoL
              Reports only displays the first page of a Word document. So, if you have more than one page, you have to split the original in several one page documents. This is a limitation of OLE, not Reports (well, according to Oracle that is).
              There is a document about this on Metalink.
              • 4. Re: Report 6i and Blob
                BP
                I looked around Metalink and found...
                Unable to Display Complete MS-Word Document from Oracle Reports [ID 233445.1].

It mentioned one work around is to transform the ms-doc to a text file.

However, I am more interesting in what you mentioned earlier... "Split the original in several one page doc."

Is there a programming way to achieve the goal for splitting the original doc in several pages while save into DB via Oracle Form? or do we just have to split the doc manually?

Thanks.
                • 5. Re: Report 6i and Blob
                  InoL
                  Is there a programming way to achieve the goal for splitting the original doc in several pages
                  Not that I know of. You may try to google it.
                  • 6. Re: Report 6i and Blob
                    BP
                    After inserting the BLOB (word.doc) via Form, Report blob field is finally able to pickup the word.doc as OLE property.

The report only shows the first page of the word.doc.

To show multiple pages of word.doc, the word.doc needs to be saved in several pages separately.

Thanks InoL for the information.
                    • 7. Re: Report 6i and Blob
                      New Rodeo
                      Is the ability to include a MS Word document inside an Oracle Report no longer available? I am in 11g Reports and 10g database.

I've successfully loaded the Word doc to a blob column and the report runs and presents other data elements from the table. However, the OLE2 field for the Word doc is blank. Suggestions?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've not been getting any responses elsewhere.
                      Thank you.