This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 2, 2009 7:27 AM by 800560 RSS

javac error

843810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi to all of you.I`m new in the Java and have some problems.I`ve set my path to java and javac correctly (I typed into cmd java and javac and it all works fine).Now,I`ve made one simple program that says "samo polako"("just take it easy" on English).Program name is "a" and it has extension .java.Now,whe I type in the cmd javac a.java it says this:error: cannot read: a.java
1 error.

Can anyone help please?U can send me an e-mail if U want (mihajlolazar@hotmail.com).
Thank U.
  • 1. Re: javac error
    800560 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    MihajloLazar wrote:
    Hi to all of you.I`m new in the Java and have some problems.I`ve set my path to java and javac correctly (I typed into cmd java and javac and it all works fine).Now,I`ve made one simple program that says "samo polako"("just take it easy" on English).Program name is "a" and it has extension .java.Now,whe I type in the cmd javac a.java it says this:error: cannot read: a.java
    The error means that javac could not find a file named a.java. It is looking in the current directory for that file. Do you see that file listed when you enter dir into the cmd? Sometimes this happens when you use Notepad to create the file and Notepad adds .txt to the end of the file name.

I suggest going here [http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/] and click on the Getting Started tutorial.