This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2011 11:54 PM by DarrylBurke RSS

Trying to simply compile a java program

843810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Downloaded JDK 6 Update 16 with Java EE ( java_ee_sdk-5_07-jdk-6u16-windows.exe) the entire 161 megs. Does this have the javac.exe? I don't believe it does. If not then which download?
Thanks
  • 1. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    843810 Newbie
    Oh I forgot to mention, here's the message I keep getting, I also am running under vista if that makes any difference.

--------------------Configuration: Program0201 - <Default> - <Default>--------------------
    Error : Invalid path, \bin\javac.exe -source 1.5 -classpath "C:\Program Files\Xinox Software\JCreatorV4\MyProjects\Program0201" -d C:\Program" Files\Xinox "Software\JCreatorV4\MyProjects\Program0201 @src_program0201.txt"

Process completed.
  • 2. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    EJP Guru
    Downloaded JDK 6 Update 16 with Java EE ( java_ee_sdk-5_07-jdk-6u16-windows.exe) the entire 161 megs. Does this have the javac.exe?
    All JDKs have the java compiler.
    I don't believe it does.
    The bizarre error message you posted doesn't suggest that. It suggests you are running a bizarre command line somehow.
  • 3. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    843810 Newbie
    If so then where is javac.exe? Also I am using JCreator to compile. I installed JCreator from a cd that was supplied with the book I purchased, Java for Dummies. I apoligize if I have solicited in the wrong forum but I tried the java for beginners forum and tried every suggestion and failed.
    Thanks
  • 4. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    EJP Guru
    javac.exe is in $JDK_HOME/bin where JDK_HOME is where the installer put the JDK.

I can't comment on JCreator or where it expects to find things or how it constructs command lines but that one is completely wrong.
  • 5. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    843810 Newbie
    The installation put JDK_HOME in C:\Sun\SDK. But there is no javac.exe in C:\Sun\SDK\bin.
    This is quite a mystery.
  • 6. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    843810 Newbie
    kendem wrote:
    The installation put JDK_HOME in C:\Sun\SDK.
    Installation? What installation? The Sun JDK or JCreator?
    If you are talking about the JCreator installation, try the JCreator forum.
  • 7. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    796447 Newbie
    NOTE: This was crossposted so people are wasting their time on this guy.
  • 8. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    843810 Newbie
    warnerja;

I didn't know I was supposted to keep to one forum for help, I didn't see that rule anywhere. Is this forum for advanced users of Java? If so then should I not post here anymore? Otherwise I have another different question on compiling or should I post a new message for that? The question is why is access denied in the following message? I set access permissions on all files/directories but still get the Access is denied.
    Thanks
    --------------------Configuration: Program0201 - JDK version <Default> - <Default>--------------------
    C:\Program Files\Xinox Software\JCreatorV4LE\MyProjects\Program0201\MortgageText.java:4: error while writing MortgageText: C:\Program Files\Xinox Software\JCreatorV4LE\MyProjects\Program0201\MortgageText.class (Access is denied)
    public class MortgageText {
    ^
    1 error
  • 9. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    796447 Newbie
    The point was to alert other people who may be answering, that they should check the other place(s) to see if they are about to waste their time duplicating what has already been said. Too late though, the time wasting already happened!

And that it is rude for you to crosspost, at least without providing link(s) to the other conversation(s), for the reason mentioned above. That should just be obvious.
  • 10. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    843810 Newbie
    Hey warnerja,
    Just trying to learn Java and brand new to these forums. Unforgiving bunch here. Good bye.
  • 11. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    796447 Newbie
    Am I supposed to grieve your loss?
    If you come to a place looking for help, and someone corrects your abuse of netiquette and you run away in a huff, believe me nobody in the forum loses anything. Only you do.

Stay, go - no skin off my nose.
  • 12. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    830056 Newbie
    Hello all,

I have just read this forum and l hope l am not doing the wrong thing but l am having the same issue.

I am just working through Java for Dummies....don't laugh..working with window 7 and the jcreator provided and l am getting a very simlar issue as metioned above. can somebody please help or point me to a form that would be able to gide me.

Cheers.

Error message is when l try to compile:
    error while writing MortgageText: C:\Program Files (x86)\Xinox Software\JCreatorV4LE\MyProjects\Program0201\MortgageText.class (Access is denied)
  • 13. Re: Trying to simply compile a java program
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    Moderator advice: Please don't post to threads which are long dead, and don't hijack another poster's thread. When you have a question, start your own thread. Feel free to post a link to a related thread.

Moderator action: Locking this thread.

db