This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2008 9:17 AM by 843810 RSS

How to get all the objects in a  stack frame

843810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, what I'm trying to do is get all the objects on the top of the stack and time stamp them.

What I have is this:

static void mearthScanStack(jvmtiEnv *env, jmethodID method, jthread thread){
       jobject obj;
       int i;
       jlong tag;
       jvmtiError err;
       jvmtiLocalVariableEntry *localVarTable;
       jint entryCount;

err = (*env)->GetLocalVariableTable(env, method, &entryCount, &localVarTable);
          if(err == JVMTI_ERROR_ABSENT_INFORMATION || err == JVMTI_ERROR_NATIVE_METHOD){
               return;
          }

check_jvmti_error(gdata->jvmti, err, "mearthScanStack: Could not get local variable table");

for(i = 0; i < entryCount; i++){
               if( (localVarTable.signature)[0] == 'L'){

err = (*env)->GetLocalObject(env,     thread, 0, localVarTable[i].slot, &obj);
     check_jvmti_error(gdata->jvmti, err, "mearthScanStack: Could not get local object");

err = (*env)->GetTag(env, obj, &tag);

check_jvmti_error(gdata->jvmti, err, "mearthScanStack: Could not get tag for local object");

timeStampObject(env, obj);
               }      
          }

(*env)->Deallocate(env, localVarTable);
}
To walk through, first I get the local object variable table, then I loop through each entry in the table. I check each entries signature to see if it is an object (starts with "L"), and if it is, I try get its tag, and time stamp it.

This doesn't seem to work, however, because I get JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_SLOT errors on the call to GetLocalObject. How can it be an invalid slot if I am getting the slot out of the local variable table?  Am I going about this the right way

Additionally, when I get the the table, I'm ignoring the JVMTI_ERROR_ABSENT_INFORMATION error. I'm not exactly sure under what circustances this information is absent. Is there a way I could scan the stack frame even if it is not available (just probe through the slots maybe?)

Any help is greatly appreciated.