This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 5:05 AM by rukbat RSS

AFP to PDF Conversion Issue

843810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
Is it possible to convert a .AFP file to .PDF file without using any third party utility .
I want to use only core java APIs.
Actually .AFP file is a Mainframe file.
If it is possible,pls give me suggestion and send me some sample code as well.
thanx in Advance
-Ashwini
  • 1. Re: AFP to PDF Conversion Issue
    843810 Newbie
    There's no core Java API to generate PDF files AFAIK. Why would you want to re-write the PDF generation code yourself? There's several open source libraries out there, including some at sourceforge.net.
  • 2. Re: AFP to PDF Conversion Issue
    843810 Newbie
    Hello Ashwinisahu,

Do you have the specifications/documentation for the AFP format? Im trying to perform a conversion also and would like access to the AFP file format.

Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: AFP to PDF Conversion Issue
    843810 Newbie
    Ashwini --

TargetStream Technologies StreamA2P has an open API to convert AFP to PDF on the fly or in a batched mode. We've used their StreamA2P product at a couple of our high-end customer sites. Their converter is 100% java based and is the least expensive and fastest compared to IBM and Xeno's converter. We've tested them all.

http://www.targetstream.com

We tried to go the open source route, and I definitely understand your position on not using a 3rd party, but when it came down to it, using their converter was the best thing that ever happend. It saved us a lot of time by not reinventing the wheel.

SK
  • 4. Re: AFP to PDF Conversion Issue
    843810 Newbie
    Hi,
    Is there any way that i can convert my afp file to xml file with any third party utility? Is we need to use any third pary utility what will be best one?
    Thanks
    ramkri
  • 5. Re: AFP to PDF Conversion Issue
    912614 Newbie
    I have searched a lot for AFP to PDF conversion java api code. There are many vendors for the convertor but no free java code available. Kindly suggest me for the same.

Thanks in advance
  • 6. Re: AFP to PDF Conversion Issue
    gimbal2 Guru
    909611 wrote:
    I have searched a lot for AFP to PDF conversion java api code. There are many vendors for the convertor but no free java code available. Kindly suggest me for the same.

Thanks in advance
    Find a free (command line) tool that can do it and invoke that tool using Runtime.exec()?

If you cannot find anything in that direction either, its time to bite the bullet. Either

- roll your own (but use for example iText to generate the PDF; you don't want to write everything from scratch)
    - pay
    - drop the requirement
  • 7. Re: AFP to PDF Conversion Issue
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    909611 wrote:
    Moderator Comment and Action:
    This thread was started in 2004, and on a long discontinued Sun forum site.
    That original poster never registered to the OTN forums, so their post was aggregated into a catch-all username. Thus the ~50k post count.

Whoever they were, they'll never see your resurrection post.

This thread is now locked to let it return to its eight-year-old slumber.