1 2 3 4 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2002 2:19 PM by 268531 Go to original post
      • 45. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
        Care should be taken. In some instances edits that were made
        would be seen in SDE but not in Oracle. As I have found out that
        this problem is easily corrected by compressing the file(s). We
        are currently using ArcGIS 8.02 with SDE an Oracle 8.1.6. Also
        when transferring data from Oracle to Oracle you will get errors
        going from 8.1.5 to 8.1.6. Keep the same rev. Just a few
        pointers.
        • 46. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
          There were issues with versioning layers in ArcSDE and creating GeoMedia's modification log triggers.

You cannot version a layer in ArcCatalog if it contains a primary key and you cannot create modification log triggers without a primary key.

Here is the workflow I have adopted:

1. Spatial table is created without primary key constraint. (Primary key column for GeoMedia will be created but no primary key constraint placed on it yet)
          2. user_sdo_geom_metadata is populated.
          3. Spatial Index is created.
          4. Table is registered with SDE using -c OBJECTID option to create the SDE-maintained ROWID column OBJECTID.
          5. Do not register table with Geodatabase from ArcCatalog.
          6. Table is registered as Versioned from ArcCatalog.
          7. Table is modified to add primary key constraint to column referenced in step 1. sql is "Alter table table_name add constraint pk_contraint_name PRIMARY KEY(column_name from step 1).

I tested this by altering tables that were registered as versioned and adding a primary key constraint to the SDE-maintained ROWID column. I made graphic edits in ArcMap and then compressed the database. The edits were then viewable in GeoMedia.

Both ArcMap and GeoMedia can use the same column, but the primary key constraint must be added after the table is registered with SDE as versioned.
          If a separate column is desired for GeoMedia it can be created when the table is created, but the primary key constraing cannot be added until after the table is registered as versioned with SDE.

When the database is compressed, GeoMedia's modification log triggers are fired and the edits are then available to all GeoMedia users.

Thanks

Dave
          • 47. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
            Hi

I am having trouble getting arcInfo 8.1 to view a read only connection of oracle spatial 8.1.7 sdo_geometry objects.

Everytime i try to view the information in arcinfo i get the following error.

Underlying DBMS Error ORA-22337
            :the type of accessed object has been evolved.

I registered the layer with the following command , it seem to
            work.

sdeLayer -o register -l lotbdy,geometry -i sde:oracle -u arc_viewer -p arc_viewer@dcdbspatial -e sl -c ufi -C SDE

James
            • 48. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
              I had the same problem and it was due having a 9i and 8.1.7 instance on the same server. The type evolution error is a 9i error.

I resolved the problem by removing all references to 9i from the system path variable.

Hope that helps.

Dave
              • 49. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
                Thanks that was very helpful.

I don't have 9i on the server, but do have it on the client machine on which i am trying to viewe the data from.

Removing the reference to 9i in the path fixed the problem.

James
                • 50. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
                  Hello all

Has anybody tested a direct connection between Oracle9i Spatial and ArcGis 8.1.2?

I am having a lot of problems:

a) First of all, the auto registration seems not to work properly. If we chek the Table_register (or register_table, I don4t remember) from the SDE user in Oracle, not all the atributes are filled (for example the column OID).
                  The tables seem to be registered but i can4t select any poligon from this layer with ArcMap because, obviously, the layer have not a OID.
                  b) With a 3d point layer, when I try to preview it in ArcCatalog i get a message like this : 'Abstrac Data Types not supported.[user].[table_name].[STATE_ID]= 0.

So here are the questions:

Do I need to manually register the tables with sdelayer -o register ? Will this work?
                  If I do that, will i need a SDE license?
                  Does ArcGis suport the Oracle 9i 3D point geometry?

Thank you for all.

Jeszs de Diego
                  • 51. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial

i found on 8.1.7 with 8.1.2 i still need to manually register the layers.

sdelayer -o delete -l <table_name>,<column> -i sde:oracle -u <user> -p <passwd>@<TNSNAME>
                    sdelayer -o register -l <table_name>,<column> -i sde:oracle -u <username> -p <passwd>@<TNSNAME> -e a -c ufi -C sde

sdelayer -o describe -i sde:oracle -u <user> -p <passwd>@<tnsname>

Also i think you still need to have a entry in the sde.dbtune table like this.

INSERT INTO SDE.DBTUNE VALUES ('SDO_GEOMETRY', 'GEOMETRY_STOARAGE', 'SDO_GEOMETRY')

• 52. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
                      ESRI's SDE dosesnt like Oralce Spatials Realational Data Model. You must translate all data from Realtional to Object Model. You can do it with

EXECUTE SDO_MIGRATE.FROM_815_TO_81X('table_name');

WARNING. I Have few tables with about 0,5 million of polygons each. All the operation takes ... few days :).

I hope it helps.

Regards
                      Marcin
                      • 53. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
                        ESRI's SDE dosent like Oracle Spatial Relational Data Model. You must translate all data from Realtional to Object Model. You can do it with

EXECUTE SDO_MIGRATE.FROM_815_TO_81X('table_name');

WARNING. I have few tables with 0,5 million of polygons each. All the operation takes ... few days :).

I hope it helps.

Regards
                        Marcin
                        • 54. re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
                          What if I create a spatial table in oracle. Can I view it with ArcIMS or do I need ArcSDE for it.
                          • 55. re:re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
                            Hi Dave!
                            I am having a little problem and would really apreciate it if u could take time out of ur busy schedule to help. iam trying to set up direct connect using Oracle8.1.7 and ArcGIS8. i have done all the neccesary grants in the database and have already created the sde user. when i try to run the sdesetupora8i.exe file i get an error:
                            ORA- TNS protocol adapter error
                            now i can connect to the database server which is on another macchine thru sqlplus, dba studio and other oracle applications. would u please advice on what i should do?
                            thanks
                            Hope Okhuoya
                            • 56. re:re:SDE and Oracle Spatial
                              Hi everyone!!
                              I have succeeded establishing the direct connect to Oracle. My problem was that i did not include the net service name alongside the sde username parameter when i tried to run the sdesetupora8i.exe file.
                              This i did and the connection went on fine.
                              I now have a new problem. I seem not to be able to view the geometries in arcmap/arcatalog. I am using ArcSDE 8.1.2 with Oracle 8.1.7. Each time i try to view the geography, Arcmap closes with an error notification. I checked the application errors in Windows 2000 and i saw something similar to Bing's problem earlier on in this forum. could anyone please help me with the know how to tackle this problem?
                              thanks
                              Hope
                              1 2 3 4 Previous Next