5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2009 5:52 AM by 843811 RSS

Signed Applet and queuePrintJob permission

Hello,
      i have a little applet for a local print. When it starts the jvm shows the security popup, i know i can set the queuePrintJob grant in java.policy but i can not change this file.
      Can i hide that popup by signing my applet? What can i do to change policy runtime?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Signed Applet and queuePrintJob permission
          EJP
          Can i hide that popup by signing my applet?
          Can you try it and see for yourself?
          • 2. Re: Signed Applet and queuePrintJob permission
            I tried to sign it (and i could verify it by "jarsigner -verify"), but nothing changed. I wrote this question because maybe i must add some code inside my applet.
            Somewhere i found this: netscape.security.PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalPrintJobAccess"), but it seems to be not supported anymore.
            Can you help me please?
            • 3. Re: Signed Applet and queuePrintJob permission
              I still have this trobule: when my applet access to printer service shows a security prompt also if my applet is signed and i accept the signature. Do you know if i have to insert something into applet code to hide this prompt?
              (i can not modify java.policy of the client jvm)
              Thanks
              • 4. Re: Signed Applet and queuePrintJob permission
                If one could bypass the security prompt that would open a door for anyone to place an insecure Applet in a web page and use it to steel information about you and your computer. Do you want that?

You can only hide the prompt if you sign the Applet using your private key with your certificate having been signed by one of the major Certification Authorities (CA) that have their certificate in your trust store. A self signed certificate will always have the security dialog until you agree to trust it forever. Getting your certificate signed by a major CA will cost you money.
                • 5. Re: Signed Applet and queuePrintJob permission
                  Thank you for your answer.

Maybe we are speaking about two different things.
                  I try to explain it again. I wrote an applet that directly prints some labels in a thermal printer inside a web page. When i start the applet it asks me if i would to grant the access to my printer, i get this prompt for every applet load (and every page refresh). So i tried to self-sign my applet and on the first load i accept my signature permanently, but the security prompt of the printer access still come on every load.... Why? I signed my applet and my signature is permanently trusted by the client, is this not enought?

Thank you very much for your help.