2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2010 3:18 PM by 803338 RSS

Eclipse JRE/JDK must be available error

HELP!!!. i am trying to run eclipse 3.5 and i am getting the following error

A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or java Development Kit (JDK)
      must be available in order to run eclipse. No Java virtual machiene
      was found after searching the following locations:
      C:\Users\Colin|Desktop\eclipse-jee-galileo-win32\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe
      javaw.exe in your current PATH

bare with me because i am new to this. I installed both JDK and JRE from the following webpage <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html> and have reinstalled them after i have unzipped the eclipse files and i am still getting the error.

if i follow that path C:\Users\Colin|Desktop\eclipse-jee-galileo-win32\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe

the jre\bin\javaw.exe part doesnt exist so is there a way to change where it is looking to the correct location???

my javaw.exe file is located at

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\bin

any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Eclipse JRE/JDK must be available error
          Hello,

In the installation eclipse search for java virtual machines on your system.
          In your case eclipse doesn't found a suitable javaw executable in the system path.

You have to set the "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\bin" in the system path and then install eclipse.

1# From the desktop, right-click My Computer and click Properties.
          2# In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
          3# In the Advanced section, click the Environment Variables button.
          4# Finally, in the Environment Variables window, highlight the path variable in the Systems Variable (not user variables) section and click the Edit button. Add ";C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\bin" to the path line. Each different directory is separated with a semicolon.
          5# Open a system console and execute
          java -version
          you have to get something like
          java version "1.6.0_18"
          Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_18-b07)
          Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)
          because now your java binaries are in the system path
          6# Install eclipse

Best reggards,
          • 2. Re: Eclipse JRE/JDK must be available error
            Thank You Seguy Gasques . I have never had such trouble installing software before. your intstruction worked perfectly. The android instructions said to update the path to include the tools directory but never mentioned anything about the java directory.

now that i have solved the no JRE problem, i have clicked on the eclipse.exe and got another error. lol.

JVM terminated. exit code 1
            -dosgi.requireJavaVerison=1.5
            -Xsm40m
            followed by a bunch of other jibberish.

hopefully google can help me find the solution to this problem.

i thought it was because i had JDK 6 installed so i intslled JDK 5 and still got the error message.