7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2013 2:31 AM by fiaz0419 RSS

Define Merge Strategy not working with OBIEE 11g - Merge Repository Wizard

Hi Anyone used the new Merge Repository Wizard and merge successfully? For me it is fully replacing the Current Repository with the Modified Repository rather than asking me to define the merge strategy.

I am trying to merge the default SampleAppLite Rpd with the Usage Tracking Rpd.

I supplied the below parameters :
      Merge Type: Full Repository
      Original Master Repository as "SampleAppLiteTemp" ;
      Modified Repository as "Usage Tracking"
      Curently Repository as "SampleAppLiteTemp"
      Save Merged Repository as "AppliteTracking"

select Next button; here it is not not prompting for Step2 of the Wizard "Define Merge Strategy". It shows the "Usage Tracking" fully overwritten the SampleAppliteTemp.

No merge has happen - just overwritten.

Any help is greatly apprecited.
      Regards
      B
        • 2. Re: Define Merge Strategy not working with OBIEE 11g - Merge Repository Wizard
          Hello Bee!

I have the same issue and I couldn't mix 2 RPD's, on my New RPD I just have the RPD that I select in the Modified Repository.

Could you explain me how do you fix the issue?

Thanks in advanced.
          • 3. Re: Define Merge Strategy not working with OBIEE 11g - Merge Repository Wizard
            Hey guys!
            Does anyone have conflicts on Define Merge Strategy section? I have 2 conflicts highlighted in red but I don't have any idea how I can resolved them. I just can to select Back or Cancel buttons.

Thanks for your help.
            • 4. Re: Define Merge Strategy not working with OBIEE 11g - Merge Repository Wizard
              Hi, can you explain us how did you solve it?
              Thanks in advance
              • 5. Re: Define Merge Strategy not working with OBIEE 11g - Merge Repository Wizard
                User769078-Oracle
                Hi,

Click on the conflict, go to the last column, i.e., Decision column corresponding to the conflict. Here you can choose either "Modify" or "Current".

If the above is answered you question, Click on Answered.

Thanks,
                Anilesh
                • 6. Re: Define Merge Strategy not working with OBIEE 11g - Merge Repository Wizard
                  Can any of the users that experience the bug where the define merge strategy dialogue was not shown please explain how they manage to get it to show up?

Thanks.
                  • 7. Re: Define Merge Strategy not working with OBIEE 11g - Merge Repository Wizard
                    fiaz0419
                    Hi user...

Merging is not simple logic as we thot.

Merge Rules and Behavior for Full Merges
                    For full merges, the following general rules are applied:

•It is assumed that you generally want to keep the changes in the modified repository. For example, if an object is added to or deleted from the modified repository, the object is added or deleted without prompting.

•If an object is added to or deleted from the current repository, the Merge Repository Wizard asks whether you want to keep the changes.

In general, the Merge Repository Wizard tries to ensure that you have the minimum set of objects necessary to service your queries. During a merge, there might be objects introduced by the current repository that are not needed in the merged repository. To address this issue, the Merge Repository Wizard asks whether new Presentation layer objects in the current repository are needed in the final merged result. If you choose to keep the new presentation objects, all the dependent logical and physical objects are added as well. However, if you choose not to keep the new presentation objects, then the dependent logical and physical objects are not kept, because no queries will require the use of these objects. The Merge Repository Wizard discards these objects to ensure that the merged repository does not get populated with unused objects.

•If an object is added to or deleted from both repositories, the object is added or deleted without prompting. If the same object was added with slight differences in its properties, the Merge Repository Wizard asks which version of the properties you want to keep.

•If an object has been modified only in the current repository, or only in the modified repository, the change is kept. If the same object is modified in both the current and modified repository, and the changes are different, then there is a merge conflict. When conflicts occur, the Merge Repository Wizard asks you to choose which change you want to keep.

•Making a decision about one object can determine a whole set of decisions, depending on the object relationships involved. For example, if you choose to keep a presentation column that has been added to the current repository, then the associated presentation table and subject area must also be kept, along with the logical column, physical column, and other associated objects upon which it is based. Alternatively, if you choose not to keep a subject area that has been added to the current repository, then you are not prompted to choose whether to keep its associated objects. Adding a join may require the addition of its base tables, while changing an expression may cause physical columns to be added.

•Object relationships can be interconnected through their properties. In addition to strings and numbers, the internal value of a property can be other repository objects. Because of this, a change to one object might cause a corresponding change to an interrelated object.

For example, assume you change the data source of Init Block B from a connection pool to Custom Authenticator A. In addition to the data source property change to the initialization block object, a corresponding property change occurs in the custom authenticator object (because the value of the initialization block property for Custom Authenticator A is now Init Block B).

Because the decisions made for these properties must be synchronized, if you select Current as the decision for the data source property of Init Block B, then the decision for the initialization block property of Custom Authenticator A will also be Current. See Figure D-1 shows what this example looks like in the Merge Repository Wizard.

Test each and every steps. Always keep Original Repository as baseline.

Mark if correct/Helps
                    fiaz