1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 11:45 PM by 843830

Worklist Manager SE

We are working on a project based on OpenESB with NetBeans as IDE and one of the main goals is to involve human interaction in processes using some sort of specialized component (so not just by invoking a receive activity from a user interface). We've discovered that there is already a JBI component which can do exactly what we want - the Worklist Manager SE.

I was expecting the developement tool for this module to be officialy included with the recent 6.0 release of NetBeans, but it's not. I've tried to install the nbm files containing the Worklist Project plugin to NetBeans, but haven't found a way to do it since there was some *"module missing error" for xmlbeans*. I've downloaded the lastest OpenESB installer but it also doesn't work properly. The web application included is missing a package com.sun.workflow.client which I can't find anywhere and more importantly, when I rebuild the worklist project, the xform file is not correctly generated (there are no fields, just the Submit button).

I don't know if the JBI components developers are watching this forum, but it would be very useful for us if we could get in touch with someone who is working on the WLM SE module to learn more about the current state of this component. Perhaps we could also help to improve it during the developement of our project.

If someone is using or has tried to use this component with success I'd be very thankful if he can provide information about some functional version configuration for NetBeans & OpenESB. Best would be to find out how to develop a Worklist Application on the recent NetBeans 6.0 release.

Thanks anyone for answers, any help is very appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Worklist Manager SE
          Hello,
          Unfortunately, Worklist Manager SE project is suspended (temporarily) because lack of resource, but when resource is available in the near future, it or a similar product will continue. It had been under active development for a year or so, but did not make into a release.

If you or your team is interested in doing some work in this area, please let us know.

Thanks
          Mei
          • 2. Re: Worklist Manager SE
            Hi,

I've tried running the sample with latest openESB and the worklist web app has errors, I also tried looking in the sources and I figured the error comes from:

com.sun.workflow.client API which I can't find in the CVS.

is there any news on the WLM SE, is it back in development, why is there no indication that work on this has been stopped in the wiki.

cheers,
            Dror
            • 3. Re: Worklist Manager SE
              I have got the same issue and want to know if the package com.sun.workflow.client.* is available now?

Can anyone provide current status on this or future available date?
              • 4. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                The samples are working, please see: http://wiki.open-esb.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=WLMSE and http://wiki.open-esb.java.net/attach/WLMSE/WLMSE_JAVAONE_2007_SAMPLE_INSTRUCTION.pdf.
                However, I suggest you wait till next week to try the instruction because I'm fixing some glitches and in the process of making the deployment easier.
                BTW, please see project plan:
                http://wiki.open-esb.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=WLMProjectPlan
                • 5. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                  Are the fixes that have been shown in the project plan for the WLM available for download?

I am wanting to use the WLM samples with Netbeans 6.5 daily builds (latest), and am having trouble getting them to work.

please advise.

regards,
                  peter.
                  • 6. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                    Hi, Peter,

The samples should all work per instruction doc, have you tried them? What problems do you have? Note that you must follow the current instruction doc (i.e. if you download the doc a month ago and tried to follow that with the new binaries, it might not work since the document is updated from time to time).

BTW, project plan is followed > 90%, so I suppose the fixes you mean are the web app fixes, they should be fixed.

http://wiki.open-esb.java.net/attach/WLMSE/WLMSE_JAVAONE_2007_SAMPLE_INSTRUCTION.pdf

Thanks
                    Mei
                    • 7. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                      Hi Mei,

thank you for responding.

I will try it again, using the latest version of that doc you pointed to, and, if I encounter issues, will document them here for you.

btw: the doc you point to - does it have a version, last update date and or change log within it that identifies which version of the doc I already have versus the one that's on the web site? it would really be helpful to know that this is a living doc and which areas have changed.

regards,
                      peter.
                      • 8. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                        Mei,

I just saw in the version of the doc that it still contains the warning about using not using JDK 6 due to an xform generation issue.

Looking at the project plan, I thought that this issue had been resolved.

is the version of the downloadable nbm's able to be used with JDK6 and the worklist task manager web app or not?

I really want to be able to use JDK6.

please advise.

regards,
                        peter.
                        • 9. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                          Hi, Peter,

The JDK6 issue is not resolved yet, the workaround is you use JDK5 to generate the xforms (build the project the first time and generate xhtml files) and then use JDK5 to do the rest of things.

The issue isn't so much in xform generation, but the xerces API packaged inside JDK6 is not backward compatible and I believe there is a solution down the track, I will move the issue to our immediate to-do list

Thanks
                          Mei
                          • 10. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                            Hi, Peter,

Good question.
                            I will add the version on the doc and change log in the future.
                            In the meantime, maybe you can see the version from attachment (http://wiki.open-esb.java.net/PageInfo.jsp?page=WLMSE/WLMSE_JAVAONE_2007_SAMPLE_INSTRUCTION.odt) for versions, but not the change log.

Thanks
                            Mei
                            • 11. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                              Hi Mei,

I'm sorry, did you mean to use JDK5 to generate the xforms/xhtml and then use JDK6 to do the rest?

the way you wrote the response it appears they should be different, but you call out JDK5 for the before and after.

regards,
                              peter.
                              • 12. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                                Hi, Peter,

Today, I checked in the fix for this issue and tested it on JDK 6, it should be working now.

The next openESB installer will include this fix.

For now, the sample app should have the xform generated, so you need JDK 6 only.

thanks
                                Mei
                                • 13. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                                  hello Mei,

well, ok, previously, I tried using following the instructions but used a netbeans 6.5 daily build, and had problems.

this time, I am trying to follow the instructions more carefully, and I downloaded the openesb daily all in one build, and am trying to install it. (ie: openesb-installer-windows-20080929.exe)

upon execution of the install program, I see a dialog box saying that it could not find a suitable java JVM, and that I should use the --javahome option to specify the location of the jdk.  so I did.

I tried pointing it at the JDK6 install, and got an error dialog. I then installed (didn't have it installed until now) JDK5, but I still get the same dialog box mentioned earlier, where it shows:
                                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  Unsupported Java VM version

The java VM at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_16 has the unsupported version
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also using the --userdir option to keep the setup details distinct from any other netbeans install I have on the machine, which happens to be windows 2008 server x64.

note: as much as I'm pointing it at the x64 version of the jdk, I also have the 32bit jdk installed for JDK6, and it gave me the same sort of kickback.

please advise.
                                  regards,
                                  peter.
                                  • 14. Re: Worklist Manager SE
                                    Hi Mei,

thank you for making JDK6 usable... that's great!

if only I could install the all in one bundle. see my other post....

thank you for your efforts - it is appreciated!

regards,
                                    peter.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next