8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 6:32 PM by Rogerl-Oracle RSS

Help: JDK Install Fails With Error 1722

When installing the JDK I keep getting error 1722 in a popup with the following text: "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor". This occurs at the point where the installer says "Status: Extracting Installer".

I tried both the 32- and 64-bit versions for both the 6U21 and 6u22 distributions (4 in total) and they all fail exactly the same way.

I tried several suggested solutions that I found on the Oracle site and elsewhere on the Internet. These include making sure there are no illegal characters in the path, de-installing then re-installing after the failure (There was nothing to de-install, since it failed, but I deleted the incomplete install directory). I tried installing to (and from) different drives and different path names (such as a path with no spaces). I also disabled anything using the JRE and finally I de-installed the JRE as well and I still get the same error.

I was able to re-install the JRE with no problems.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Here is the contents of the installation log (slightly reformated for readability):

Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.
      A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
      Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
      Action unziptools, location: D:\apps\Java\jdk1.6.0_22\zipper.exe,
      command: "D:\apps\Java\jdk1.6.0_22\\tools.zip" "D:\apps\Java\jdk1.6.0_22\" ""
      === Logging stopped: 10/13/2010 10:52:16 ===

The problem might be that the installer seems to be appending a second backslash to the path to generate the zipper.exe command line to extract tools.zip (…command: “d:\apps\Java\jdk1.6.0_22\\tools.zip”…). I tried manually removing the backslash from the "install to" path, but the installer automatically puts it back.

Since I do not see anyone else having this problem recently, I must conclude it is something unique to my system. Does anyone have any suggestions?