5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2002 5:50 PM by 807592

LifecycleException: null.open: trying to start jsEE with cloudscape.

Trying to set up the petshop demo files I have followed the steps listed on the installation instructions but when I get to START THE J2EE server, I get the following error.

Can anyone help me please
      Thanks

LifecycleException: null.open: java.net.BindException: Address in use: JVM_Bind at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
      ctor.java:1116)
      at org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded.start(Embedded.java:962)
      at com.sun.web.server.WebService.start(WebService.java:217)
      at com.sun.web.server.WebServer.start(WebServer.java:189)
      at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.startWebService(J2EEServer.java:
      796)
      at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.run(J2EEServer.java:297)
      at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.main(J2EEServer.java:972)
      java.lang.RuntimeException: null.open
      at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.run(J2EEServer.java:346)
      J2EE server reported the following error: null.open
      Error executing J2EE server ...
        • 1. Re: LifecycleException: null.open: trying to start jsEE with cloudscape.
          The port you're trying to set this up on is in use. Do you have more than one version of your J2EE server running at once?
          • 2. Re: LifecycleException: null.open: trying to start jsEE with cloudscape.
            No, as far as I can tell I have only one version running, I have rebooted and tried again to be sure. How can I tell what port it is trying to use?
            • 3. Re: LifecycleException: null.open: trying to start jsEE with cloudscape.
              You've got to have specified the port to run your application server under somewhere in your configuration. Try to check the config files and change the port
              • 4. Re: LifecycleException: null.open: trying to start jsEE with cloudscape.
                Having done the obvious(changed the port numerous times) and still not resolving the problem It appears to me that setting up the Java Pet Store Demo is going to be a major issue for me.

I am operating on a W2K sp2, sr1 machine using explorer 6.0 . One individual at my site has NT and set the demo up with no difficulty.

I have shut down IIS, have no web sites up and cannot find which address this error message is referring to that is "Address in use:"

I am not very knowledgible about ports, addresses and java so I'm at a disadvantage when the error message is not specific.

I also discovered this appearant error message in the catalina.2002-02-14.log in my web folder.
                "Internal Error: File /WEB-INF/web.xml not found
                HttpConnector Opening server socket on all host IP addresses
                WebappLoader[]: Deploying class repositories to work directory c:\j2sdkee1.3.1\repository\rotech03\web
                StandardManager[]: Seeding random number generator class java.security.SecureRandom
                StandardManager[]: Seeding of random number generator has been completed
                ContextConfig[]: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only
                ContextConfig[]: Added certificates -> request attribute Valve
                StandardWrapper[:default]: Loading container servlet default

I don't know if it has any bearing on my problem or not. I see many others are experiencing similar problems with varying platforms. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
                • 5. Re: LifecycleException: null.open: trying to start jsEE with cloudscape.
                  OK! This morning I tried again to start J2EE server and got a different error. --

C:\j2sdkee1.3.1\bin>j2ee -verbose
                  J2EE server listen port: 1050
                  org.omg.CORBA.INTERNAL: minor code: 1398079697 completed: No
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.iiop.GIOPImpl.createListener(GIOPImpl.java:
                  256)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.iiop.GIOPImpl.getEndpoint(GIOPImpl.java:205
                  )
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.iiop.GIOPImpl.initEndpoints(GIOPImpl.java:1
                  40)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.POA.POAORB.getServerEndpoint(POAORB.java:49
                  2)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.POA.POAImpl.pre_initialize(POAImpl.java:156
                  )
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.POA.POAImpl.<init>(POAImpl.java:114)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.POA.POAORB.makeRootPOA(POAORB.java:114)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.POA.POAORB$1.evaluate(POAORB.java:132)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.core.Future.evaluate(Future.java:21)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.corba.ORB.resolveInitialReference(ORB.java:
                  2488)
                  at com.sun.corba.ee.internal.corba.ORB.resolve_initial_references(ORB.ja
                  va:2423)
                  at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.run(J2EEServer.java:196)

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create ORB. Possible causes include TCP/IP
                  ports in use by another process
                  at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.run(J2EEServer.java:206)
                  java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create ORB. Possible causes include TCP/IP
                  at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.run(J2EEServer.java:206)

at com.sun.enterprise.server.J2EEServer.run(J2EEServer.java:346)
                  J2EE server reported the following error: Unable to create ORB. Possible causes
                  include TCP/IP ports in use by another process
                  Error executing J2EE server ...

So I made the following changes:

c:\j2sdkee1.3.1\config\orb.properties

and changed the port to 3234, then I went to

c:\j2sdkee1.3.1\bin\setenv.bat

and changed
                  set LISTEN_OPTIONS=-Dcom.sun.CORBA.connection.ORBListenSocket=SSL:0,SSL_MUTUALAUTH:0,PERSISTENT_SSL:2061
                  from 1060 to 2061
                  and VOILA!
                  my J2#ee server is now running with no errors.

Hope this helps someone else who is having difficulties...
                  Thanks for all the suggestions here and elsewhere on this forum. Thanks for those who are willing to share their attempts and solutions!

Now I just hope this solutions continues to work since something certainly changed since Friday for me to get this new error message this AM.