This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2010 5:38 AM by jduprez RSS

Aproach for Data migration: A Java tool or an ETL??

843853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

In my current assignment we are planning to migrate data from Db2 to Oracle. Currently the data is stored in the form of a XML blob in DB2. However we have designed a relation data model in Oracle to store the same data (which was stored as a XML blob in DB2).

We are also introducing JPA layer for persistence to store and retrieve data to/from oracle.

I have around 50 million records in DB2 in the form of XML blob. Now I want to move this data to Oracle (in a relation db model- each entity stored in a seperate table).

I want to know which of the below approaches I should follow to do this data migration:

1. Use an ETL tool. My company has Ab Initio license, so I can use this ETL tool.[I do not have experience, but will be eager to learn].

2. Build a new tool using Java for this migration. As I had done a POC on using JPA for persisting and retrieving entities, and the JPA mappings is already there, I can reuse some of this code. And some additional processing which needs to be done in approach 1 can be avoided. [Additional processing : mapping entity to database, processing XML blob and reading its content]

So please help me in making this decision with appropriate points.

Thanks in advance,
MK