This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2010 6:40 AM by 782681 RSS

How to design for this.

843853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi,
I'm having an Invoice object which consists of customer id and product ids. Customer and Product are separate classes.

I'm implementing CRUD for this Invoice.
Should the Invoice object have object references for both participating customer and product objects.

I'd like to know if there is a common method of implementing CRUD operations*(with DB backend)* that involve the above mentioned object relations.

I'd like to have an article that best describes a simple design (may be with Factory pattern-am learning it) with mysql db backend or any db for this problem. Also I got to create Reports on Invoices, products, etc.

Big Thanks.
  • 1. Re: How to design for this.
    800387 Newbie
    itsraja wrote:
    hi,
    I'm having an Invoice object which consists of customer id and product ids. Customer and Product are separate classes.

I'm implementing CRUD for this Invoice.
    Should the Invoice object have object references for both participating customer and product objects.
    Depends on your requirements. My guess is an invoice is one to one to customer and one to many to product. Store the former as a reference to the object itself and the latter to a collection of products.
    I'd like to know if there is a common method of implementing CRUD operations*(with DB backend)* that involve the above mentioned object relations.
    Lookup Java Persistence API.
    I'd like to have an article that best describes a simple design (may be with Factory pattern-am learning it) with mysql db backend or any db for this problem. Also I got to create Reports on Invoices, products, etc.
    See the Data Access Object pattern. JPA will handle the rest. You may want to create a front-end service facade.
    Big Thanks.
    You are welcome.

- Saish
  • 2. Re: How to design for this.
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    itsraja wrote:
    CRUD refers to supporting existing tables. If you have additional business functionality it is no longer really CRUD.

Do you have existing tables?
  • 3. Re: How to design for this.
    843853 Newbie
    jschell wrote:
    If you have additional business functionality it is no longer really CRUD.

Do you have existing tables?yes i have existing tables and additional functionality. I'll look out JPA and DAO.
    what I'm looking for is to learn best ways to design complex object interactions.
    Also designing maintainable and expandable WEB applications that involve these complex objects, persistence with db , irrespective of particular language.

Pretty theoritic question? What to do? Am learning.
  • 4. Re: How to design for this.
    800387 Newbie
    Far too theoretical. Software is written to solve problems not create new ones. (At least ideally).

:^)

- Saish
  • 5. Extension Interface?: How to design for this.
    782681 Newbie
    itsraja wrote:
    ...what I'm looking for is to learn best ways to design complex object interactions.
    Also designing maintainable and expandable WEB applications that involve these complex objects, persistence with db , irrespective of particular language.

Pretty theoritic question? What to do? Am learning.
    [Extension Interface|http://www.laputan.org/pub/sag/extension-interface.pdf|description] pattern hm?

---------

+"...you should be aware of the following *liabilities*: ...The _complexity_ of developing and deploying components as well as implementing clients is much more difficult to cope with..."+ // much. more. difficult.