This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2010 6:13 AM by PhHein RSS

Latent Semantic Analysis in Java

843853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Does anyone know where can I get hold of source code of Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA) implemented Java ? I've been searching it for ages, thanks in advance for any information
  • 1. Re: Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    843853 Newbie
    Don't LSA techniques usually involve finding the SVD or eigenvectors of a large matrix? In this case I would strongly doubt that something like this exists in Java, although I've been wrong before...
  • 2. help me! Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    843853 Newbie
    hai there,

i am desperately in need of algorithm or implementation of latent semantic analysis . so please help me with the code if you have one.
  • 3. Re: Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    843853 Newbie
    Don't LSA techniques usually involve finding the SVD
    or eigenvectors of a large matrix? In this case I
    would strongly doubt that something like this exists
    in Java, although I've been wrong before...
    http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/jama/ seems to have just that. And from the NiST i would expect non-amateur software.

Harald.
  • 4. Re: Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    843853 Newbie
    Don't you generally do LSA with sparse matrices? Otherwise they're gigantic because you can have thousands of words. I'm not sure, though. But if so, NiST doesn't seem useful.
  • 5. Re: Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    843853 Newbie
    Don't you generally do LSA with sparse matrices?
    Otherwise they're gigantic because you can have
    thousands of words. I'm not sure, though. But if so,
    NiST doesn't seem useful.
    I think you use singular value decomposition to make the matrix more sparse. I haven't used the NIST package, but it does supply an SVD class.
  • 6. Re: Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    843853 Newbie
    Hi everyone

I am planning to develop Automatic Essay Evaluation system for Amharic language (Ethiopian working language) among the state of the art methodology i have chosen LSA and java as development tools, but i don't want to hide you that i have gone through a lot of challenge coz lot matimatical and statistical concept are there so would you please help me in providing any information,tools, codes which you you think that is important i am so grateful for that

thanks in advance
  • 7. Re: Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    843853 Newbie
    coz lot matimatical
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#writewell

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Eric Steven Raymond
    Rick Moen

Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language

We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding (often enough to bet on, anyway). Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding; we'd rather spend our time elsewhere.

So expressing your question clearly and well is important. If you can't be bothered to do that, we can't be bothered to pay attention. Spend the extra effort to polish your language. It doesn't have to be stiff or formal - in fact, hacker culture values informal, slangy and humorous language used with precision. But it has to be precise; there has to be some indication that you're thinking and paying attention.

Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly. Don't confuse "its" with "it's", "loose" with "lose", or "discrete" with "discreet". Don't TYPE IN ALL CAPS; this is read as shouting and considered rude. (All-smalls is only slightly less annoying, as it's difficult to read. Alan Cox can get away with it, but you can't.)

More generally, if you write like a semi-literate b o o b you will very likely be ignored. So don't use instant-messaging shortcuts. Spelling "you" as "u" makes you look like a semi-literate b o o b to save two entire keystrokes.
  • 8. Re: Latent Semantic Analysis in Java
    PhHein Guru Moderator
    Welcome to the forum. Please don't post in threads that are long dead. When you have a question, start your own topic. Feel free to provide a link to an old post that may be relevant to your problem.

I'm locking this thread now.