This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: May 1, 2010 12:25 PM by gimbal2 RSS

unsigned applet .jar browsing? I it possible?

843853 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
how do I browse an unsigned applet .jar that is running within a browser?
using ZipFile produces a security manager exception : java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission igx141.jar read)
the problem is, the files contained in the .jar may change, so I need to browse the .jar to see what the current version contains. otherwise I could just hardcode a list of files

my game is already running at http://playigx.com and works fine. but right now I'm adding the ability to play when the server is offline. the client .jar works fine as an application or when the server is available, but not as a browser applet. the list of AI opponents and maps (which as of the next uploaded version will also be stored in the client .jar) need to be loaded to play when the server isn't responding, and this doesn't work while it gets executed as an applet within a browser (throws that security manager exception)

Thanks in advance for any answers!
  • 1. Re: unsigned applet .jar browsing? I it possible?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Zyphrus wrote:
    how do I browse an unsigned applet .jar that is running within a browser?
    using ZipFile produces a security manager exception : java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission igx141.jar read)
    the problem is, the files contained in the .jar may change, so I need to browse the .jar to see what the current version contains. otherwise I could just hardcode a list of files

my game is already running at http://playigx.com and works fine. but right now I'm adding the ability to play when the server is offline. the client .jar works fine as an application or when the server is available, but not as a browser applet. the list of AI opponents and maps (which as of the next uploaded version will also be stored in the client .jar) need to be loaded to play when the server isn't responding, and this doesn't work while it gets executed as an applet within a browser (throws that security manager exception)

Thanks in advance for any answers!
    You don't need to hardcode the list of files, but you could generate a single index file, for example a simple XML file, that references the lot of them. With some clever build script logic you may even autogenerate that file. Make sure the file is on the classpath and then during runtime load the file using a Classloader to know what else is available.