1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 1, 2009 1:02 PM by 843853 RSS

American Football simulation

I'm working on developing an American Football simulation engine. Right now, everything is still being designed on paper. So far, I can see easily how I can create a team, and create individual players with their ratings. I can even see creating the stadiums and weather conditions to affect how they play. My next big hurdle is figuring out how to simulate playing a game. I have been looking around for a tutorial but can't find one for this type of thing.

The only way I can think of to start this, is to create a coach class which would make all of the in game decisions based on how the game is going. If I do that, I would pretty much need to create plays, and a playbook.This seems like an awful lot to generate some numbers. I feel like maybe I am over thinking this? I mean games like Tecmo Super Bowl III for the SNES had decent season simulation so I feel like there must be an easier way?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Edited by: Sch104 on Dec 1, 2009 12:09 PM
        • 1. Re: American Football simulation
          Sch104 wrote:
          I'm working on developing an American Football simulation engine. Right now, everything is still being designed on paper. So far, I can see easily how I can create a team, and create individual players with their ratings. I can even see creating the stadiums and weather conditions to affect how they play. My next big hurdle is figuring out how to simulate playing a game. I have been looking around for a tutorial but can't find one for this type of thing.

The only way I can think of to start this, is to create a coach class which would make all of the in game decisions based on how the game is going. If I do that, I would pretty much need to create plays, and a playbook.This seems like an awful lot to generate some numbers. I feel like maybe I am over thinking this? I mean games like Tecmo Super Bowl III for the SNES had decent season simulation so I feel like there must be an easier way?
          Well, if you don't want the game to play a game, then you need to make it statistics/probability and random number based. For instance: you need to set up a 1 to many relationship with your defense to your offenses where for each defense/offense combination it gives a probability of success and yardage gained/lossed. All of this will be driven by your random number generator when the game is "in play".

If you don't want to go with any of that, you can always just compare 2 random numbers and make a decission off of the difference of the 2.