This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2010 2:25 PM by tschodt RSS

Java stopped working and cannot be reinstalled

805745 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
As of yesterday, attempting to open Java programs started giving me errors such as "Could not find the main class: <software-specific class name>. Program will exit." and "Could not create the Java Virtual Machine." I am unsure what triggered this exactly; I had installed Microsoft Visual Studio and some miscellaneous game development software, and gotten a lousy excuse for a virus somewhere along the way. I suspect the virus is what spelled my doom.

I got rid of the virus easily enough, but Java remains broken. Not only do I get errors when trying to open a Java-based program, but I also get errors when installing or uninstalling Java.

Installing Java 6 Update 22 works fine until it nears the end of the installation, at which point I receive three errors in a row:
"Could not create the Java Virtual Machine."
"Could not find the main class: com.sun.servicetag.installer. Program will exit."
"Could not create the Java Virtual Machine."

The setup program then happily tells me that Java was successfully installed on my system.

Uninstalling Java similarly gives me the same first two errors, but doesn't repeat the last one.

After repeating these steps a few times, I uninstalled all old versions of Java, which didn't help at all. Any ideas? I'm thinking that perhaps the virus busted something that Java depends on, but I don't know what. I suppose it's also possible that something I installed created a conflict.
  • 1. Re: Java stopped working and cannot be reinstalled
    tschodt Pro
    Try
    Google ( [url http://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+installer+cleanup+utility+download]microsoft installer cleanup utility download )
  • 2. Re: Java stopped working and cannot be reinstalled
    805745 Newbie
    Wow, you broke it even worse.

Now I can't install nor uninstall it. Your damn cleanup utility removed it from the list of installed programs, but if I try to install it then it tells me "Java is already installed, would you like to reinstall it?" and then "This action is only valid for programs that are currently installed."

So now I have two unrelated problems to deal with. Help?
  • 3. Re: Java stopped working and cannot be reinstalled
    tschodt Pro
    LockeZ wrote:
    Wow, you that broke it even worse.

Now I can't install nor uninstall it. Your Microsofts damn cleanup utility removed it from the list of installed programs, but if I try to install it then it tells me "Java is already installed, would you like to reinstall it?" and then "This action is only valid for programs that are currently installed."

So now I have two unrelated problems to deal with. Help?
    As you never said what version of Windows you are running I can only offer
    Google ( [url http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+cannot+uninstall]windows cannot uninstall ).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points