3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2007 6:02 AM by 807596 RSS

JAXP, J2SE 1.4.2_04, Xerces 2_6_2, jre/lib/endorsed

My understanding is that I could use the latest Xerces installation from Apache together with Sun's
      j2sdk1.4.2_04 by taking advantage of the "endorsed" mechanism provided by the J2SE platform. That is,
      I should be able to throw the latest Apache's Xerces implementation into the %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed directory to use that JAXP version instead of the original one which
      comes with the j2sdk1.4.2_04.

I'm not able to get the jdk's automatic "endorsed" mechanism to work correctly though. That is, when I
      unzip the Xerces download from the apache site in my %Java_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed directory, things
      do not work as expected with my application. (I've created the "endorsed" directory myself).

OTOH, when I use the command line option (java -D"java.endorsed.dirs=C:\xerces-2_6_2" ...), everything
      works fine. But that's not what I want, I would rather like to add Xerces to the jdk installation in order
      to not have to rely on command-line property passing.

I've been looking way too long into this now -- including browsing the web :).

Any ideas very appreciated.