1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2007 2:29 PM by baftos Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: My experience at this forum
        endasil wrote:
        I'd place my bet on bad SQL queries
        That's always been my assumption as well.

Or lousy indexing.
        • 16. Re: My experience at this forum
          mlk
          endasil wrote:
          mlk wrote:
          The join date is shown in the user that you are looking at time zone style, not yours.
          Which explains it, but doesn't come close to justifying it. How the heck would I know if 10/12/2007 means October 12th or December 10th if it isn't consistent?
          I was not attempting to justify it, just letting you know why.
          • 17. Re: My experience at this forum
            mlk
            endasil wrote:
            I mean, there's only like 200 users browsing this entire forum at any given time. I'm sure Sun's hardware could more than handle that in an efficient manner, so it's clearly the software that's inefficient. I'd place my bet on bad SQL queries, as I don't want to imply that Sun's own developers write inefficient Java code.
            This is not Sun developed code, but Jive powered. While we could go blame Jive (after all some bugs also show up on the forums hosted by Jive) I would find it unlikely that Jive are completely to blame here give how many other clients they have and none of them are quite this shιt. I think the maintainers of this fine forum missed out a step in an upgrade long ago (a CREATE INDEX maybe)?
            • 18. Re: My experience at this forum
              vanilla_lorax wrote:
              I've noticed that it's crappy slow the last couple days too, so I switched from the jverd account to this one. Now it's snappy.
              Slower than molasses for me since yesterday, too.
              >
              This has happened many times in the last couple years. It gets VERY slow for people with lots of posts and/or lots of watches (not sure which is the determining factor). For users with less "stuff" in the DB, it performs reasonably.
              I have no watches at the moment and it's still slower than waiting for your turn at the DMV. So after reading your post, I guess it all has to do only with the total number of posts.
              • 19. Re: My experience at this forum
                DarrylBurke
                I'd place my bet on bad SQL queries
                Maybe that would explain why
                http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5232346
                opens much faster than
                http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5232346&tstart=0

Whenever a topic fails to open with my slow connection, I delete the last part of the url (which refers to the serial # of the topic at the head of the forum page).

Anyone tried to view the 'Users online' page and click 'Next'?... surprise, surprise.

But disabling JavaScript does reduce the bytes per page by as much as 90%... the downside is having to type all markup, and no preview.

Oh -- and even if I uncheck 'Add topic to Watchlist' it gets added anyhow. So I have to maintain my Watchlist every day instead of once a week or so.

db
                • 20. Re: My experience at this forum
                  As jverd / vanilla_lorax mentioned it is quick for the latter logon with only a relatively small number of posts in his history, I confirmed that if I browse the forums as a guest, it is responsive.

I have sent feedback to the admins (as I'm sure yawmark and others have likely done as well) about this, that it has something to do with one's posting history count.
                  • 21. Re: My experience at this forum
                    Here''s how I have been "navigating" this site for the past few days.

1) Go here in my browser (IE).

2) Read threads. When I find one I want to respond too then click reply and get directed to the login page.

3) Login

4) Return to reply screen - after lengthy delay. Write reply

5) Click post button

6) Start new IE process (not window but actual new seperate process)

7) Navigate back here.

8) When my post shows up then kill first IE process

9) Repeat as neccessary

Because for some reason as soon as I have logged in performance goes to absolute shite. The one minute or worse page loads. But if I am not logged in then's it good. Also if I logout it does not fix whatever the problem is. I have to actually have a "clean" browser. Then the page loads are only a couple of seconds.

With the exception being that some threads just seem to hang no matter what and as noted above stripping everything but the threadid then helps.

Really it's fairly ridiculous.
                    • 22. Re: My experience at this forum
                      >
                      But disabling JavaScript does reduce the bytes per page by as much as 90%... the downside is having to type all markup, and no preview.
                      When I disable JavaScript I am unable to login.

PS new browser instance since my last post. :sigh:
                      • 23. Re: My experience at this forum
                        warnerja wrote:
                        I have sent feedback to the admins (as I'm sure yawmark and others have likely done as well) about this, that it has something to do with one's posting history count.
                        I have. Several times. With predictable results.
                        • 24. Re: My experience at this forum
                          baftos
                          vanilla_lorax wrote:
                          I've noticed that it's crappy slow the last couple days too, so I switched from the jverd account to this one. Now it's snappy.

This has happened many times in the last couple years. It gets VERY slow for people with lots of posts and/or lots of watches (not sure which is the determining factor). For users with less "stuff" in the DB, it performs reasonably.
                          I am using the technique of having two browser instances. In the first one I do not login and it is a great
                          pleasure to browse the forums. The second instance is logged in and I use it only when I go for a coffee,
                          bathroom, meeting... Most of the time, when I come back, the requested page is there.
                          • 25. Re: My experience at this forum
                            At any rate I don't expect any of this to get fixed. Nobody at Sun understands this forum software so I can't see how they'll fix it.

What they should do is revert to the previous version which has less AJAX and was less terrible.

But that won't happen either.

I expect soon enough I will be forced to browse this site using lynx.
                            • 26. Re: My experience at this forum
                              mlk wrote:
                              endasil wrote:
                              I mean, there's only like 200 users browsing this entire forum at any given time. I'm sure Sun's hardware could more than handle that in an efficient manner, so it's clearly the software that's inefficient. I'd place my bet on bad SQL queries, as I don't want to imply that Sun's own developers write inefficient Java code.
                              This is not Sun developed code, but Jive powered. While we could go blame Jive (after all some bugs also show up on the forums hosted by Jive) I would find it unlikely that Jive are completely to blame here
                              They are largely to blame.

I have mentioned that I have discovered that Jive in other places has the following bugs.

1) The various auto-post, auto new threads and link and other JavaScript shenanigans previously exploited here.

2) the mysterious hanging bugs

3) The various formatting page layout bugs

4) the spider bug letting you see people's hidden email addresses and other "hidden" information previously exploited here

Jive is terrible. No two ways about it.
                              • 27. Re: My experience at this forum
                                jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                                Frustrating is more like it. For example, when I clicked to respond:
                                This is a feature. It encourages users to learn about error conditions which they can then apply to their own apps to insure that it doesn't happen there.

Naturally it has to keep occurring because new developers start up every day.

We should congradulate the admins because they specifically had to turn on the site software flag that says "produce random spurious errors to teach developers how to code".
                                • 28. Re: My experience at this forum
                                  jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias
                                  1) Go here in my browser (IE).
                                  9) Repeat as neccessary
                                  Yes but it is a learning experience. You have learned that you can use trial and error to access applications that are otherwise inaccessible. Just think, when QA for your project says that they have run into a high priority roadblock bug you can cite your own experience as an example of how they should just continue to try until it does work.
                                  • 29. Re: My experience at this forum
                                    The next forum software will truncate all your posts so that you only have 10. We will all start as equals. Prob sol!